• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frustrating Automatic

frdtrknut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 2011 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 is a nice truck. I like most things except the way the 5R55E shifts. Especially down shifts. I live in very hilly region and climbing these hills is either with the engine lugging or screaming. I get as good a start on a hill as possible but when the speed starts to fall I give it more throttle. Normally I have to push the throttle nearly to the floor and then it drops at least two gears and sometimes three. The engine goes from 2000 rpm to 4500 rpm and now it won't shift back up unless I take my foot completely off the throttle. Therefore I end up climbing long hills in third gear with the engine screaming. Regular driving on flat land is OK. Does anyone have experience with this. Is there any way to alter the shift program. I've seen shift kits but this seems more of computer programming thing. Thanks in advance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's just the way they are programmed. Without getting an expensive tuner that lets you set your own shift points or finding a manual valve body (not sure that I have ever seen one for a 5R55) you are kinda stuck with it.

Just one of the many many reasons I prefer a manual. It shifts to the gear I want, when I want, how I want, every time.

frdtrknut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
adsm08 - I agree on the manual but I got old and lazy. I've had many "sticks" over the years and my 61 Land Rover has straight cut gears, no syncros and has to be double clutched most of the time. If you can recommend a tuner that would allow me to change the shift program on my Ranger that would be great. Thanks

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a reworked valve body for mine. Got it from CVB. It now shifts like it should have from the factory. Came ready to install and I paid $250 about a year ago. Im real happy with it.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You describe the exact reason I dislike automatics. The inability for them to anticipate a need to downshift such as a change in grade or intention to pass someone.

There are some tricks to make it easier, but even those are best when the shifter is in a center console rather than up by the wheel.

1) If there is a OD (overdrive) on/off button, turning it off when approaching a hill will usually drop it out of the max gear to something more suitable for hill climbing.

2) Manually move the shifter from drive down (or overdrive) down one notch as you feel the need to shift. Usually it is possible to do this shift without needing to do anything other than move the shifter. Like if on the steering column you don't need to pull it back. In fact, don't pull it back otherwise it is possible to shift it too far into something nasty like reverse.

I do this stuff occasionally on my 02 Explorer which has an automatic. The Explorer isn't too bad with the auto because with the 4.6L V8 it has enough torque for the low RPM and drops a gear easy enough when needed.

frdtrknut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Dune Runner - Thanks for the info everyone. I googled CVB and didn't come up with anything about transmissions. Is there more info on CVB? Google came up with Criminal Violations Bureau. Probably not what you meant.

ab-slack - I have used the OD button and it does help some although I have also hit the OD button and had it drop more than one gear. I guess I'm trying to find a way to make it work properly without having to manually do it. My 1952 Ford with the Ford-o-Matic air cooled automatic shifted a bunch better than this.

I did find where Super Chips sells a tuner that says it allows "transmission optimization" what ever that is. Anyone use one of these?

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I have the 5R55E, and the only problem I see with it, is when it struggles doing 75 on the highway, climbing and descending hills I use O/D, which seems to do the job just fine.

frdtrknut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
canyoncritter - Good info. I shall contact them for an opinion.

MastahWaffles - I think we have very different trucks or at least very different hills. I'm talkin wanna be mountains. Also my truck does fine at 85 with my 20 ft. boat behind it. Any faster and the boat tries to pass and the "All Terrains" go square. Cheers.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep Central Valve Body is the place. Great service and easy to deal with. My trans never shifter right from day one. After installing the CVB valve body it was like driving a different truck. 90% of the problems with the 5R55E are valve body related. It's a known issue for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals