• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front bumper fog light addition?

deeman

Reaction score
Make / Model
2008 Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have an 08 XLT and there are no fog lights installed in the front bumper, just black plastic louvered covers on the holes where lights would go. I would assume it's not hard to add some round lights into that space to get more lighting (pointed down of course). Has anyone done this mod? Is there any chance the wiring is already there?

Thanks!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98, and want to put on a bumper with the fog light mounts. I can do the wiring myself. Just wonder what bumpers will work on said 98.

I would think the wiring may be there already. It's like the tach, some models don't have them. But the wiring is there for it. From a production stand point, it's cheaper to use the same exact wire harness on every vehicle you can use it on. Even if it's a different model. Such as V-6 Rangers and Exploders.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would think the wiring may be there already. It's like the tach, some models don't have them. But the wiring is there for it. From a production stand point, it's cheaper to use the same exact wire harness on every vehicle you can use it on. Even if it's a different model. Such as V-6 Rangers and Exploders.
Seems like there is an echo in here...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1 to the above

2008 XLT had the option for Fog Lights so "most" of the wiring should be there
Dash switch, fuse and relay will not be there

Stock fog lights had limited usability, not just on and off, so not "driving lights"

If you want to chose when they are on and off then I would add the wiring, switch, fuse and relay yourself, only difference in cost is a bit of wire

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Some say there is legends of wiring being there. There was none on my 2009. Unscrew the 3 "nuts" from the back of the bumper plugs and you can buy the aftermarket assemblies all over. I got mine from Amazon for like 50 bucks. They "bolt" back in where the plugs came out. I wired mine off a relay with the signal wire to the front marker light. This way I have "fog light only mode" when I turn the headlight switch to running lights only, or fog lights and headlights. No extra switches in the cab. The oem setup turns the fog lights off if you hit the high beams which is dumb to me so I didn't do that. But I've also never had a situation where I would only want running lights, so tapping into that made alot of sense at least to me. When it's rainy but daytime I hit running lights and just having running and fog lights on. At night I want the fog lights no matter what be because they fill in a HUGE gap of light in front of the truck if aimed right.

I quoted "nuts" and "bolts" because the factory mount is literally these 3 plastic sticks with sheet metal things that chew into them to hold them on... It's... Dumb...

Last edited:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I have a 98, and want to put on a bumper with the fog light mounts. I can do the wiring myself. Just wonder what bumpers will work on said 98.

98 thru 2000,

you'll want an XLT or an XL bumper, the XLT's all had the reliefs on the bottom of the bumper, not all XL's were equipped for the fog mounting points, the lower valance hid all of this. Does your '98 also have the upper impact strip? If so even harder to find a *good fitting* identical *new* replacement. I gave up on the offshore junk as they did not fit properly (too short across the front), had to find an original bumper that was in respectable shape

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
98 thru 2000,

you'll want an XLT or an XL bumper, the XLT's all had the reliefs on the bottom of the bumper, not all XL's were equipped for the fog mounting points, the lower valance hid all of this. Does your '98 also have the upper impact strip? If so even harder to find a *good fitting* identical *new* replacement. I gave up on the offshore junk as they did not fit properly (too short across the front), had to find an original bumper that was in respectable shape
All the 2006+ trucks have mounting spots for fog lights. They just have round block off plugs in the lower bumper if they didn't come from the factory. He doesn't need anything new front end wise.

I can't find pre fog light pics, but every bumper has these holes in his year.

20180609_195348.jpg

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I added them to my 98. I dont recall wiring being there. I wired myself. Used 2 relays so they would shut off on high beams. Triggered one to light them with marker lights the one to break ground when high beams were applied. Found a set at local junkyard and grabbed brackets and even cut harness for back in case I broke them they would be easier to replace. I put amber bulbs in since my brush gaurd had a set of clear 4 inch round KC on it.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine doesn't have any fog light holes in the bumper at all. I don't know if that's because it's a SPORT model, or what. Also mine is an XLT, and it doesn't have the holes. My front bumper looks nothing like the one that Dirtman posted.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
If I remember correctly you can change the plastic lower part of bumper out as well. Saying that my memory is not as clear as it used to be haha. I could be thinking if my old 95

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The plastic lower part on mine is already no good, It's being held on with screws until I replace it. Just want to replace the entire bumper as it has a big dent in it, thanks to my sister. Also need to replace the part between the lights, as it has two cracks.

Attachments

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
A new lower valance will look nice on there. Always liked the 98 99 front end the best. I owned mine in the billet era so I had the bullet bar grill and lower valance insert. Not sure it would fit but the 95 lower with the big round fogs that came on the 4wds would look awesome on there. Kinda like a cobra mustang. Just my opinion haha

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You should do a Rally truck look.... with lighting bolts of course.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you actually drive in fog, high beams suck. They light up the mist and reflect it back. That's why fog lights and high beams are never mixed. But up to you how you wire them. I will say this, driving a ranger of your model year, having fog lights helps see the road way better as they light up directly in front of you. They fill that gap you never knew was there. I see road lines faster since they shine on them 1 foot in front of the truck. I had pics showing the difference. You will see, and ultimately want them as driving lights.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals