• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frank'nExplorer. Project really more then expected. And Pick and Pull Pitfalls.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Okay Campers.

Some photos of the Big Red Monster. (no..not Kane from wrestling)

I have Rocker panels on order. We have 2 pick and pull yards. One with really decent people, and then there's the one that has most of the Explorer's. I'll have about $80 into both rocker panels when they come in. I'll likely also need the dog legs (I found a decent source for those, but will hold off as the budget went tight)

The poor people yard. (They stink at customer service): They have a 98' explorer that I got the rear hatch and lights off from. This thing from the body point of view? Zero Rust! And same color as mine. I asked them the price to remove the dog leg's and rocker panels. (walk in customers are not allowed any cutting tools. The staff 'can' remove panels on request) The quote I got was highway robbery. $75.00 PER CUT. and $75.00 PER rocker panel with the dog leg. And the guy stated "That's the per-cut price, depending on how long it takes and how far into the floor board the cut is).

So they basically want $300+tax+any additional 'cuts'.... Unreal.....

And as a topper! The girl running the front desk where we get checked in? Totally blitzed with a severe hang over......Classic.....

I included the seats, as I'm fairly happy with them.

Word of warning for Pick and Pull Yards....Always be careful when approaching the big mean trucks:

That's my only complaint about this yard. They "tri-pod" cars and trucks using two rear "stands" and only 1 in the front middle. I hope sincerely no one was working on this truck when it went all kiddywonkers.

S-

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have seen plenty fall over with four stands. Not sure if someone did something to knock them over or what.

I hate getting under the things...

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've gotten some good stuff at junk yards not hardly anything from underneath though.It's hard to pull a tranny out with tools that fit in a bucket laying in the dirt.Plus I don't want my story to end under a car in a junk yard.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
I've gotten some good stuff at junk yards not hardly anything from underneath though.It's hard to pull a tranny out with tools that fit in a bucket laying in the dirt.Plus I don't want my story to end under a car in a junk yard.
I've spent more time under these things pulling leaf springs, coils, etc.. Latest one was the transfer case to replace ours.

The one yard in Syracuse does all 4 corners on the frame itself using about 3-4 steel wheels welded together. Rock Solid. (Shame this yard is also staffed with the rudest arses I've ever dealt with)

Next on the list will be a transmission in the future. The synco's are just about toasted and it will eventually need a clutch. So I'm trying to plan ahead.

Still to be done in the very near future is rear springs, or coil over shocks to help boost the saggy mono-spring. And the tires.....

I have replacement rocker panels coming in a few days, should be a fun project considering I'm not allowed to weld anymore. We are going to use the metal bonding agent that the body shops are currently using to attach things.

S-

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Wheel stands like that are pretty common here too. I won't go under any that are set up like that, pretty easy to have it fall and get crushed, and stay there for days hidden in the tall grass until someone comes along and finds your rotting body. No thanks.

I am finally set up with my own shop at my house so I'll be able to keep a larger inventory of parts on hand, hopefully I won't need to hit up the junkyard much at all in the future.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals