• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford F150 9.75 installed on a 2000 Ranger

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
For anyone looking for an upgrade to the more common Explorer 8.8 swap, here is another option. The F150 9.75 axle is approximately 7" wider than stock (the Explorer 8.8 is approximately 3" wider than stock). Dimensions use a 2000, 28-spline, Ranger 8.8 axle as reference. The F150 9.75 axle also offers 34-spline axle shafts and is roughly equivalent to a Dana 60.

I just finished the install on my 2003(?) Ford F150 9.75 axle swap. Everything went fairly simply and was as close to a plug and play solution as possible. For the Record, here are the items that were a direct match to my 28-spline 8.8 axle:

Drive shaft flange (identical)
Speed tone ring (same number of teeth)
Speed sensor (identical)
Width (I wanted full width axles for my prerunner)​

This axle has disk brakes with 13" rotors. I had new soft lines and hard lines made for the axle. The brakes seem to be working fine with the stock master cylinder. I had to replace my 15" wheels with 17" wheels to clear the rotors. 16" wheels may have fit but I decided to play it safe.

Things that required extra work:

I had the axles and rotors redrilled to 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern
Welded the axle tubes to the carrier (optional-but welded fine)
I had to shorten the stock drive 2-piece drive shaft
I moved the spring and shock mounts to work with the Ranger frame​

I am happy with the way that this axle swap worked out. I found it on Craig's List for $400.00 complete with factory posi, disk brakes, and 3.55 gears (I regeared the axle to 4:88). The truck seems to be happy with the axle as I have not had any issues with the 4-wheel ABS or other computer codes/errors. The only loose end, is reconnecting the e-brake. I am currently looking for a used set of cables.

Here are a couple of pictures (additional pictures are in my build thread in the prerunner forum):

MEAKIN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow, im a 4x4 guy but that truck makes me want a prerunner. I have the same axle under my f-150 with 4:10 and 35's and i beat on it and tow alot. no problems after 250,000kms. nice work!

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
wow, im a 4x4 guy but that truck makes me want a prerunner. I have the same axle under my f-150 with 4:10 and 35's and i beat on it and tow alot. no problems after 250,000kms. nice work!
Thanks. I am also a 4X4 guy, I just want it to go fast as well. This truck is actually a 4X4. When I can afford to regear the front differential, I will reinstall the front CV axles. Glad to hear that the 9.75 axle has performed well for you.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I may actually do this swap... Just did a brake job on my buddy's '03 F-150 and it featured 16'' wheels on top of the disc brakes. Very easy job.

This axle was found on the 5.4L 150's and the 4.6's with the optional tow package.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also, this is how you use the search feature noobies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals