• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Broke My Heart Today

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If Dodge would make THAT, I'd be at the dealer tomorrow, buying one. Even if it had a 5hp Briggs and Stratton for a motor......
I happen to have something that’s the same color with a 5ph Brigs and Stratton. I can put a Mopar sticker on it.
How does that tickle you?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Same size tires and I'm on it ;)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I am completely lost on your logic. Are you saying that because someone takes the time to learn how an automobile works and figures out a way to optimise it to preform better at a certain thing they are destroying the this hobby? So, every self build drag car that pulls nines in a quarter is an idiot that’s destroying the automotive hobby?

@PetroleumJunkie412 Is ruining wrenching for the rest of us because he is turning a rusty old pickup into a race car?

I resent this. There are plenty of people that think of cars as appliances from all generations, Henry Ford for example.

I have a friend who build a 600hp Acura hatch back out of a four cylinder eco box. Not nearly as easy as making 600hp out of a 351w.
Second. ✊🏿

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
[

I resent this. There are plenty of people that think of cars as appliances from all generations, Henry Ford for example.

I have a friend who build a 600hp Acura hatch back out of a four cylinder eco box. Not nearly as easy as making 600hp out of a 351w.
I think youre missing the point of what i was getting at.

Kids these days grew up surrounded by taurus's, civics, random SUVs and crossovers. None of these invoke the....spirit...lets say like a 68 roadrunner, 69 charger, or 71 mustang.

That coupled with alot of kids being to tied up in facebook and video games to even want to get lincense pretty much nails the coffin shut on the future of the automotive hobby.

Most kids see cars as just a metal box with an uber sticker on it that takes them to get their avacado toast.

This isnt the case with ALL kids....but kids interested in cars surely isnt the norm like it used to be.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I didn't grow up in the 60' or 70's, so the 69 charger or 71 Stang don't do it for me. I grew up in the 80's & 90's, we had SHIT to enjoy as far as cars go. The 2 door Chevy Lumina became the Monte Carlo and the Probe almost replaced the mustang. But somehow I caught the bug. I heard the stories of how the 70's were great for muscle cars and the stories of how it was cheep to get a car to run 10's in the 1/4 mile. Then I got handed a '72 Maverick coupe. Didnt know what I had at the time, but I hated that relic. Traded that car for my 1st Ranger, ('83 2.0 Carb'd) and here I am.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Early performance cars were a different experience, if you did something stupid there was no traction control or stability control to bail you out, it could bite you. They were far from perfect but at least they didn't sound like a weed whacker when they reved. Mustangs used the non integral power steering system Ford developed for the 51 models- until 1971- and it wasn't worth crap in 51. Drum brakes have a really solid pedal feel but won't stop when they're hot and won't even slow down after driving through deep water. GM's had some pretty good chassis once they ditched the X frames but they had week kneed rear ends. I suppose the 7/16 wheel studs were supposed to act like fuses and snap off before the rear ends broke, that happened more than once. Mopars had excellent running gear with sloppy suspension, electrical systems slightly better than Lucas, and bodies nearly as tinny as Ramblers. But they'd go. You could buy a new 67 Coronet with a 426 Hemi, 4 speed, 4.10 Dana 60 rear end, and if you didn't check off option boxes you got manual steering, manual drum brakes, and 775x14 4 ply nylon tires.
The first mass produced front wheel drive with the sideways engine was the Mini Cooper, as far as I remember. Front wheel drive is cheaper and lighter, they convert it to all wheel drive in an attempt to make it handle as well as the rear wheel drive they didn't build.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Right before "the Fast & Furious" movies, I remember seeing a well tuned civic. That thing was built to the hilt. lowered, flared fenders, strut supports over the engine, turbo, The Works. I remember thinking "Why would somebody blow so much money on a Civic, when they could have bought a Mustang GT?" Then I saw that Civic dust a Fox body GT.
The game has Changed.
Now every car manufacturer on the planet is stuffing small displaced turbo'd engines in everything.
The Game has Changed.
Now Muscle cars need 700+HP because the 4 cylinder engines have more HP than the v8 cars of the 70's.
The Game has Changed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It burns old farts but generally people are attracted to vehicles that are about the same age they are. I am not sure why that is or why I seem to be the only one to notice this. People with the traditional classics get put out when someone has something from the 80's or newer at a show, there is a big stigma that newer cars shouldn't even be allowed at shows. Good-Guys blew a lot of minds by opening it up to newer cars after slumping numbers... and the overall numbers boomed. Some say people bring the "newer junk" because they can't afford a classic. Others spout that stuff from the 80's is so cheap and easy to find in good shape that is isn't fair to have them judged with older classics. I was nice and didn't totally rip that dude's head off, I was putting a floor pan in my '85 at the time and the exterior body still needs.... everything. It is no small wonder that it is hard to get new members with younger iron interested in joining clubs and getting into the hobby.

IMO this is a huge problem with the scene

And then we wonder why kids are not really getting into it.

My car club started out as a Model A club. That was it. Now there isn't a single Model T in the club, the people that were into those died out, we might get 2-3 to show up at our 2-300 car annual car show. Time marches on, you didn't latch on to the same cars your father did so don't expect your kids to latch onto what you like. Most are 40's to 60's stuff now.

I like old stuff, I wouldn't trade my '85 for any of it though. I have the second newest vehicle in my club and it is 35 years old, the newest is a 2011 GT-500. Kids in newer Mustangs and whatever are everywhere... just doing their own thing.

The bottom is starting to fall out of antique tractors too. Now "the dang kids" have memories of riding on the fender of grandpa's 4020/806, not great-grandpa's A/M that stayed parked in the garage except for special occasions.

Now Muscle cars need 700+HP because the 4 cylinder engines have more HP than the v8 cars of the 70's.
The Game has Changed.
As a whole they don't, the doctors and lawyers that can afford a new 700hp muscle car don't use it. It idles from show to show while they prance around in jean shorts and new-balance shoes reciting how much power it has... that they will never use because if they did they would stain the seat. Once in awhile one gets a wild hair and takes out a crowd trying to show off though.

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
It burns old farts but generally people are attracted to vehicles that are about the same age they are. I am not sure why that is or why I seem to be the only one to notice this. People with the traditional classics get put out when someone has something from the 80's or newer at a show, there is a big stigma that newer cars shouldn't even be allowed at shows. Good-Guys blew a lot of minds by opening it up to newer cars after slumping numbers... and the overall numbers boomed. Some say people bring the "newer junk" because they can't afford a classic. Others spout that stuff from the 80's is so cheap and easy to find in good shape that is isn't fair to have them judged with older classics. I was nice and didn't totally rip that dude's head off, I was putting a floor pan in my '85 at the time and the exterior body still needs.... everything. It is no small wonder that it is hard to get new members with younger iron interested in joining clubs and getting into the hobby.

IMO this is a huge problem with the scene

And then we wonder why kids are not really getting into it.

My car club started out as a Model A club. That was it. Now there isn't a single Model T in the club, the people that were into those died out, we might get 2-3 to show up at our 2-300 car annual car show. Time marches on, you didn't latch on to the same cars your father did so don't expect your kids to latch onto what you like. Most are 40's to 60's stuff now.

I like old stuff, I wouldn't trade my '85 for any of it though. I have the second newest vehicle in my club and it is 35 years old, the newest is a 2011 GT-500. Kids in newer Mustangs are everywhere.

The bottom is starting to fall out of antique tractors too. Now "the dang kids" have memories of riding on the fender of grandpa's 4020/806, not great-grandpa's A/M that stayed parked in the garage except for special occasions.

As a whole they don't, the doctors and lawyers that can afford a new 700hp muscle car don't use it. It idles from show to show while they prance around in jean shorts and new-balance shoes reciting how much power it has... that they will never use because if they did they would stain the seat. Once in awhile one gets a wild hair and takes out a crowd trying to show off though.
This is 100% accurate.

I tried to be an automotive enthusiast when I was young.

I, like any other kid at 17 did not have $60,000 - $120,000 for something deemed "worthy" of a local show.

So, I feel into Jeep because I could buy a sh*tbox XJ for $500 - $1500 and go have a blast with it.

To this day I refuse to enter a vehicle into a show, as does my father (with his rotisserie restoration 1967 GTX) due to the snobs.

Older people that are snobs about whats 'worthy' to sit on a show field are what is killing the automotive hobby, not young people.

If you want the hobby to continue, let the 300hp Accura / Toyota / Honda on to the damn show field.

Otherwise, introspect and realize the hobby is dying by your own hand.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is 100% accurate.

I tried to be an automotive enthusiast when I was young.

I, like any other kid at 17 did not have $60,000 - $120,000 for something deemed "worthy" of a local show.

So, I feel into Jeep because I could buy a sh*tbox XJ for $500 - $1500 and go have a blast with it.

To this day I refuse to enter a vehicle into a show, as does my father (with his rotisserie restoration 1967 GTX) due to the snobs.

Older people that are snobs about whats 'worthy' to sit on a show field are what is killing the automotive hobby, not young people.

If you want the hobby to continue, let the 300hp Accura / Toyota / Honda on to the damn show field.

Otherwise, introspect and realize the hobby is dying by your own hand.
I need a reason to clean my truck at least once a year... I usually catch a show or two.

Usually I run into a couple people that are interesting. Last year a maybe high school age kid was curious why I had so many shifters so we talked about that. Hey if I can turn a couple I might as well try...

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
I took my Mustang and Ranger to 2 cruise nights this year, mostly to visit with the other people and look at their stuff. You see some rolling disasters, some professionally built high dollar stuff, some original stuff, and some home built cars that show a lot of ingenuity. I don't have any patience for the guys who talk about "correct" hose clamps or paint marks, if it's still a functional vehicle I'm interested. One of my friends goes to cruise nights all summer, he's a retired 747 pilot with a 72 Mustang convertible he bought new, a 2016 Shelby GT350 he bought from us, and a 32 roadster street rod with the last flathead my old machinist built before he died. When he showed up at the machine shop with the flathead the machinist asked him where he got it and he said it had been in his basement for decades. Will, the machinist, said "That's a good F***ing place for it. But he built it.
One guy brings a restored 65 Beetle, one guy brings a Crosley with a Toyota engine. No one discriminates.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I took my Mustang and Ranger to 2 cruise nights this year, mostly to visit with the other people and look at their stuff. You see some rolling disasters, some professionally built high dollar stuff, some original stuff, and some home built cars that show a lot of ingenuity. I don't have any patience for the guys who talk about "correct" hose clamps or paint marks, if it's still a functional vehicle I'm interested. One of my friends goes to cruise nights all summer, he's a retired 747 pilot with a 72 Mustang convertible he bought new, a 2016 Shelby GT350 he bought from us, and a 32 roadster street rod with the last flathead my old machinist built before he died. When he showed up at the machine shop with the flathead the machinist asked him where he got it and he said it had been in his basement for decades. Will, the machinist, said "That's a good F***ing place for it. But he built it.
One guy brings a restored 65 Beetle, one guy brings a Crosley with a Toyota engine. No one discriminates.
But does the Beetle have the correct hose clamps?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
But does the Beetle have the correct hose clamps?
I don't know, I only look at it long enough to be polite. I had a bunch of those things and worked on many more, I felt I was behaving well by not peeing on one of his tires.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I haven't been to a car show in years :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals