• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flushing oil system

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
from other posts etc, some people seem to say to use transmission fluid (ATF) to do so. However, I'd like to know more on this procedure. How much to replace the current oil with. Like drain a qt of oil out, and put a quart of trans fluid in. How long do I drive it with the ATF in the oil? Will this damage my 3.0L engine? Any adverse effects from using it?

thanks
ati190

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
First, why?

Second, what's wrong with just changing the oil and filter? If you're worried about "sludge" any engine that's been properly will have very little.

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I dont know about the atf, but you could just go to your local auto part store and get a qt of motor flush. (gunk comes to mind)

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, the specifics are unknown, I just want to get any sludge (if any) in there out. I heard about using ATF in place of the oil, i'm not sure how much? a half of qt, a qt?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you're really bent and determined to do this, replace one quart of oil with ATF and run it for 100 miles or so, then change the oil.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
ATF does nothing as far as flushing a motor. It has very little detergents to clean a motor out. The only product worth using to clean out a motor is this stuff called Auto-Rx. You add it after you change the oil and leave it in for the entire oil change interval. Go to http://www.auto-rx.com/ for more info.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
the atf trick was used to quiet noisy lifters , and they would actually dump it down the carb. to clean sludge the process my stepdad used in the old days was :

1. Drain the oil pan but leave the filter on
2. Fill the pan with diesel fuel , it is not as harmful to the components as gas would be
3. Let the vehicle idle for a minute or two
4. Shut the vehicle off and drain the oil / remove the filter
5. put the new filter on and Fill the pan

he also said you can use atf , but it was not as good as diesel

shizzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
keep in mind any sludge you knock loose has a chance of clogging up the oil pump screen. If it were me I would just stick with a good oil change habit.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
My employer has been pushing us to sell oil/engine flushes (i am a tech in a auto shop). But i refuse to ever do any type of motor flush......

ANY thing you may "clean" up in the inside of the engine has to pass through the oil pump before it'll hit the oil filter. No thanks

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I flushed mine...just before it went south...not sure if there was a connection though...but that 'ratcheting' sound i was hearing could have been my oil pump doing the horizontal mamba when it should have been doing the Cha Cha...cha ching!

Gillbilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Paps method

You can take it or leave it but my Grandpappy taught me to flush an engine like this,
Basically the same as what WNY964x4 was saying ...w a little more detail.

it always worked well for us as we were not always able to afford new ...nice .... or even well kept vehicles. I wouldn't suggest doing this on a regular basis and I actually only do it when it is absolutley required ( when I see that the engine oil is really in bad shape, usually for freinds who are not very good at regular engine mant.)

-Drain Oil but do not remove Old filter Yet
Once all oil is drained replace drain plug and take about a gallon of fresh clean Kerosene/ or diesel fuel and dump into the Oil fill.
Start the engine let in run for about 15 or 20 seconds and then shut it of... this should agitate the kerosene enough to bust some sludge loose... be careful not to let the engine run too long as you have very little viscosity and in fact the kerosene will break down the viscosity of what oil is lining your engine parts. That is the point... it should also break down any chunks of sludge so that it will not hang up in the pump.

-Remove the Oil drain plug and drain out kerosene

-If what drains out looks really bad.... you might want to flush again with another gallon of kerosene but DO NOT start the engine (agitation start) on follow up flushes. You can do this until the Kerosene comes out looking fairly clean.

-After this again replace the Oil Drain Plug and add @ least 2 quarts of whatever Oil you will be running in the engine... again start the engine and let it run for under a minute.... this will relube the engine parts and act as a flush for any residual kerosene or sludge chunks in the system. Then remove the Oil drain plug again and (the 2 quarts) drain oil.

-at this point complete your oil change by replacing your oil filter and refilling your engine with the proper type and amount of Oil

As a side note I like to follow up a kerosene flush like this by completing another full oil change within a month or 500 miles.. I feel better doing this as any sludge or build up that you had may have weakend but maybe didnt come out in the initial flush but will surely have broken loose and blended with your oil by now .... in theory your filter should catch any of that but I do the followup change anyways

Last edited:

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just don't do it with a garden hose LOL

JohnPi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would think that the best method would be to do an oil change, run the engine a little harder over the next period (maybe a shortened interval), and then change the oil again. Then, keep up with a good oil change schedule.

I'm a firm believer in taking the engine to the red line at least 4-5 times per week. That way, you always have high pressures in the systems, which will keep stuff from sitting too long (sludge in the engine, carbon in the combustion chambers, etc.). My wife's car only gets revved out when I drive it, and it always gets that little puff of smoke the first time I take it to freeway speeds. My truck has over 120k more miles then her car, and my truck never has any smoke when I take it on the freeway (every day on my way home from work).

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Seriously? Diesel? ATF? Just change your oil guys. What do you think will happen to all the sludge if you do happen to break i loose? It wont just disappear. It will probably get down into your pan and clog your pick up screen. But i dont see diesel as being a very good lube for bearings, but do what you will with your engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals