• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flushing oil system

Joe400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just change it. 9 times out of 10 flushing your engine is going to cause more harm than good. A lot of places stopped doing them all together.

If you are really determined though, you might just want to add some seafoam to the oil.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If you do go the flush route whether you use a product advertised for it or the kerosene/diesel method, you still will need to remove the pan and clean the pickup afterward. Like everybody has said, the crap from the engine and the pan will get sucked into the pickup screen. If the engine is so nasty that doing these things is an option, you probably want to start saving your money for a rebuild.

north44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe in the "old days" - these days there are so many "purpose-made" chemicals available that it doesn't really seem necessary.

I've even heard of "old-timers" pouring some ATF into the coolant to lubricate the water pump.

I have also heard how ATF is useful (again from the "old days") as a rustproofing/undercoating agent to slow down corrosion - it's thin enough to creep into all those various folds and crevices.

This kind of makes more sense to me than putting any kind of automotive fluid anywhere in the engine/transmission/differentials/radiator/steering/brake system it wasn't meant to be.

I don't think I would risk my truck to that sort of treatment.

Sidewalk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep JLR
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33's
My credo
#DontFollowJosh

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
We use Gunk Motor Flush every oil change, on every vehicle. Over the last 20 years only one vehicle has bit the dust via the engine, our Taurus with a pushrod 4.0, of which was a head gasket (common problem I've heard) and not really of any fault of the oil. Over all of our vehicles we're talking easily 1,000,000+ miles.

The flush is fine if you do it every change since you've owned the vehicle new (or less than say 30-40 thousand miles). I've replaced valve cover gaskets and the top of the cylinder head was only a very slight amber color. Aside from that you'd say it looked brand new (150,000ish miles - '01 Saturn).

But really if you put decent oil in it and make sure to change it regularly it should be more or less fine.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
We use Gunk Motor Flush every oil change, on every vehicle. Over the last 20 years only one vehicle has bit the dust via the engine, our Taurus with a pushrod 4.0, of which was a head gasket (common problem I've heard) and not really of any fault of the oil. Over all of our vehicles we're talking easily 1,000,000+ miles.

The flush is fine if you do it every change since you've owned the vehicle new (or less than say 30-40 thousand miles). I've replaced valve cover gaskets and the top of the cylinder head was only a very slight amber color. Aside from that you'd say it looked brand new (150,000ish miles - '01 Saturn).

But really if you put decent oil in it and make sure to change it regularly it should be more or less fine.
4.0L taurus:icon_confused:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
There is a few ways to flush the oil system.
1. Buy the flush (Chemtool B-12, etc.) and flush according to the instrustions.
2. Just change every 3k miles
3. Run a full sythentic oil for an oil change period or conutine to use it.

I've done the Chemtool B-12 once before I switched to full sythentic. Never had a problem and engine conutines to run great even with 114k miles on it.

Theres also two types of build-up, Sludge and Carbon. Sludge is easy to remove and be done easily with just an oil change. Carbon is not so easy. It sticks to everything and usually comes off in chunks. Which can clog the pick-up screen. Carbon is best dealt with either, A. Remove the oil pan and clean, B. Change oil more often and let it slowly break-down, or C. Run a thinner like diesel or B-12 and pray it doesn't clog the pick-up screen. I would choose B. since it is the least costly and more benefical for the engine.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.

north44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
from other posts etc, some people seem to say to use transmission fluid (ATF) to do so. However, I'd like to know more on this procedure. How much to replace the current oil with. Like drain a qt of oil out, and put a quart of trans fluid in. How long do I drive it with the ATF in the oil? Will this damage my 3.0L engine? Any adverse effects from using it?

thanks
ati190
Overall, I don't think anyone disagrees with the concept of looking after your engine by flushing it out, using proper methodology and the right chemicals.

Only you can decide if you want to use ATF for that purpose.

As stated earlier, with so many purpose made chemicals out there now, I wonder, Why would you want to use ATF as an engine flush?

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
As stated earlier, with so many purpose made chemicals out there now, I wonder, Why would you want to use ATF as an engine flush?
ATF in fuel made my crappy lawn mower work better. It smoked, but at least it stayed running. :D

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty sure it said 4.0 on it. Had some special engine package thing, it hauled ass.
SHO

i dont know off hand what motor it ran. if i had to GUESS i would say a 4.6

Confederate Forge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
SHO

i dont know off hand what motor it ran. if i had to GUESS i would say a 4.6

Never heard of a Taurus with a 4.0 or a 4.6. I thought the SHOs all had either 3.0s, 3.2s or 3.4s. I had a 90 SHO with the 3.0 and 5 speed. Nicest car I ever had. I want another one bad. That thing would haul ass.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, but would you put ATF in the gas tank of your truck?:shok:
I was looking forward to destroying that worthless hunk of scrap. But oddly enough, it made it work better. Over-reving and extreme heat finally killed it. As for if I would put it in my Ranger's tank, no. A diesel engine fuel tank, maybe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals