• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally done.....kind of....

hdmm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I finally put my Ranger back together, but I have to take some of it apart again. When I put the front lift coils in I found that my upper and lower balljoints were really loose on both sides, so I insatlled the springs and new shocks and ordered my parts. I went with 2" lift coils but the company screwed up and sent me 3", so I going to replace the upper control arms with the balljoints installed, I found them for $180 I also ordered lower ball joints from Rockauto.

Here is what I have......'98 Ranger, 2wd, 2.5, auto, 4:10 gears, 3" coils front, new #2 leafs, plus short add-a-leafs in the rear, 3" body lift (done right), Pro-Comp ES1000 shocks front & rear, 15x8 Crager V5 wheels w/3.75 b.s., 33x12.50x15 Kuhmo Road Venture AT's.

The truck actually goes fine with the 4 banger (probably because of the 4:10's) and my tires don't rub on anything. :icon_thumby:

I was able to use the stock Ford center caps and lug nuts, it saved me a few bucks and they look really good with the black wheels.

Once my upper control arms come in, I'll change them out along with the lower balljoints and I should be good to go!

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Don't sweat it. 3" over coils make it look good:icon_hornsup: Oh-you might have to re-adjust the headlites to get em out of the trees:icon_rofl: 10-fo on the wheels (black/chrome, black/chrome--works on Harleys too)

Last edited:

hdmm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually becuase of the springs I used in the rear, the front is still down a little more than the back! I kinda want the front up just a little more so the truck sits level, I may stick a small spacer in there at the top of the springs?

monstergarage87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you use stock sized shocks or are they longer? If they are longer, whats the part number for them? Im getting ready to lift my 98 and want to get my shocks ordered, and get the right ones.

hdmm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just ordered the replacement ES1000 (#114515) front shocks, I measured the stock shocks, then checked the specs on these before I ordered them and they are a little longer than the stock shocks (almost 2"). They will work fine if you only go with a 2" spring. Because I have 3" springs and will be replacing my upper arms, I will be getting more suspension down travel so I ordered a set of 2" shock stud extenders for about $8 That will solve any short shock problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250184752858&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

Last edited:

RangerRocker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How do those procomp shocks work for you?

hdmm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They work great, better than the stock ones for sure.

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
how did you manage 3" lift coils without larger upper control arms? i thought anything over 2" needed larger upper control arms just curious where did your get the 3" coils?

irishblessing

yeah the chrome caps look good with the black wheels i like them next time when you get your tires realigned ask for the weights they put on the inside of the rims i had my old rims and someone would always steal them from me lol

hdmm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how did you manage 3" lift coils without larger upper control arms? i thought anything over 2" needed larger upper control arms just curious where did your get the 3" coils?
I do need upper control arms, I only have about 3" of suspension down travel before the upper ball joint/ arm hit the coil spring bucket. I ordered 2" lift springs from suspension max. they screwed up and sent me 3" springs. That actually worked out OK, because I needed the extra lift.

I'm just waiting for these guys to send mee the upper arms, bought them on the 02/20 still have'nt recieved them.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually becuase of the springs I used in the rear, the front is still down a little more than the back! I kinda want the front up just a little more so the truck sits level, I may stick a small spacer in there at the top of the springs?
it wud be easy to jus use a little bit smaller lift block on the leafs to bring the back down and sit level.. my 2 cents

truck looks great man:icon_thumby:

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
o i jus re read the truck discription again.. u used add a leafs.. u cudd jus try removing one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals