• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Farm and Garden

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
36A3D83F-6A42-4691-A70E-DA72C8EBDE67.jpeg
3F8EF1D6-1424-41EC-A992-5FB55FB26C58.jpeg
4791FCE5-A0F1-4294-B775-8A0A6C574931.jpeg
E38DE74E-8159-4AF2-A6A3-19A38C0164BE.jpeg
12073778-2889-420C-8258-A9EE596F2AAF.jpeg

Nice evening, let the big chickens out to play. They are loving the new grass coming in. One caught a mouse somehow, never seen that before. eww.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would be willing to wager that the B has infinitely more power the the Oliver.
I used to tractor pull against them when I was younger. 77's were amusing how they could go from WOT to their knees in about 5 feet. I was halfway cheating though, my WD-45 weighs the same but left the factory with almost twice the hp.

HOWEVER, for giggles I put a tape on the block of the old girl to see if she had ever been rebuilt. And rebuilt she has been.

Factory is 3.3125", mine is a hair over 3.5"... which is a lot. I see a Super 77 is 3.5" bore. Researching to see if you can even put S77 sleeves in a 77 block and it looks like you can.

Kinda neither here nor there, dad says whatever it was while it ran great it was no powerhouse. I think he is kinda stunned it has been whooped up...

My B is a "middle" B. 1946 twin stick all fuel, pretty much every option but auto steer. Even has the hydraulic update. Based on my past experiances it would be close but I don't know if the B would win. Sure I got 6 gears but only like three are really usefull, they are pretty much all variations of "too fast". A later single stick B with a pressed frame I think would reliably take a 77.

But they are incredibly smooth running and comfortable. The next size bigger, the 88 is a force to be reckened with, especially if it was a diesel.

more low end tourque anyways. The oliver has more gears, at least I think that one is a split H pattern. Not sure if that B is just a 3-speed or if it has a hi/low lever. My dad had 2 different “A”s, one was a 3-speed flywheel start & the other he still has is a ‘49 with the hi/low & electric start. Hard to beat the old twin-cyl deeres, the A is a bit thirsty on fuel though. 321 cid out of 2 cylinders. 980 governed engine speed. The B runs a bit more rpms, 1200 I think.
The B pretty much runs on air, by far the most economical on in the fleet. B's ran a little faster and had more compression than the A.

Nice evening, let the big chickens out to play. They are loving the new grass coming in. One caught a mouse somehow, never seen that before. eww.
When we were kids we saw one find a toad. It was straight up Jurassic Park. So we did the right thing and found them more toads.

A couple years ago the ducks found a mouse nest with baby mice, that did not go how I thought it would. Same end result as the chickens but they didn't get ripped apart.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyway, what is the deal with the dang exhaust valves?

They clean up... clean. Not really servicable to put back in and run or to regrind, they need replaced. So we are going to grind them, put them in to see if it will break loose and then see what we have for the rest of it before we buy a bunch of new valves.

More yummy goodness to be had yet...

So then I go home and mop out the bores, really they look pretty good.

So it hit it with some pb blaster hoping it can get in there and eat a little better than it could back with all the crap in the engine.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, this thing has been sitting there for two years now. Really don't need it for anything. Doesn't have much more power than the B and doesn't have any hydraulics so I don't have a ton of stuff to do with it. Basically just a tug or running my shredder.

Kinda stressful though, I need to be pulling the heads off my Ranger not the lawn ornament... and yet here we are lol.
I understand this, I’ve broken away from working on the Ranger to tinker with my tractor a few times now. Hate taking time from what needs done to what would be nice to be done, but I try to look at it as a change of pace for a day. Just wish I could get the tractor to run right.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Clearing brush to make @Mrs. Eighty Five her "oasis garden" or something.

received_730808878776424.jpeg

I hear tell of a fire pit... so I'm naturally in.

We've hauled off two loads of brush so far, guessing we have another two to go.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool place there :)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Someone has been running a big farm tractor past the house a LOT lately. Yesterday they made about a hundred trips past hauling a small V shaped trailer loaded with something one way. Their last trip was about 10:30 last night. Only thing is, they weren’t going far either direction past the house and I don’t know there’s any local farms the direction they were going…

Seems like a rather inefficient method to drive the tractor on the road that much.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Someone has been running a big farm tractor past the house a LOT lately. Yesterday they made about a hundred trips past hauling a small V shaped trailer loaded with something one way. Their last trip was about 10:30 last night. Only thing is, they weren’t going far either direction past the house and I don’t know there’s any local farms the direction they were going…

Seems like a rather inefficient method to drive the tractor on the road that much.
Everything else is broke. Only way to tow the trailer.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, had a really rough start to the day, think I got myself too upset over everything going on but that’s another story.

At any rate, I decided that I needed a break from my green Ranger and really all of the vehicles. So I did a little more to organizing my electrical kit (added another Packout organizer and deleted a non-compatible toolbox), then loaded it into the F-150 and went over to my property to mess with the Ferguson. Well, now I remember why I was putting that off. The tractor was converted to 12 volt, but only for the starter and replacing the generator with an alternator. Everything else is run through a huge resistor and strangely wired at that. No wonder the guy I got it from said that he would convert it back to 6 volt because it worked better (I’m thinking it’s more that power goes through the resistor, through the amp gauge, to the light switch, then through a cheap pull-on ignition switch, then to the coil).

I’m thinking I need a new ignition switch since this one is pretty sketchy. Also need a 12 volt coil. Looks like an old school coil for a car or truck. Not sure if I can just get one for some sort of car or truck? The coil in it was a 6 volt. Hopefully someone can get me pointed in the right direction.

I pulled the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter, the last old cable on it. Think I found more of the reason why it was cranking slow, the cable had a ton of cracks in it and was corroded end to end.

So I made up a bunch of new wires. Didn’t do anything about wiring the lights yet, and I’m going to leave the amp gauge disconnected until I can get a 12 volt one. Pretty much all the other stuff is made. Just need a coil and switch. And an 11/16” wrench.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
woke the allis from its 6 month hibernation in the garage. Started without much trouble, just 3 cylinders for the first few seconds than it was going smooth on all 4. Swapped the parking spots with the ford tractor, its now tucked in the back corner of the garage. Ive got plans on a lean to shelter on the side of the garage for the tractors but the chicken house on the backside of the garage needs to be finished first. Thought about leaving the tractors outside but I really hate to do that, I need to get the shifter on the wheel horse working, its about time to do some tilling and something went last year, have to pull up on the shifter as you put it in gear. Not easy to do. Oddly enough it broke just driving it around the yard, Id of expected it moving trailers around or while tilling.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Put the carb back together on the Honda mower and went to start it up. I think the bendix is stuck or something, spins but doesn’t engage.

I’m really getting tired of working on this Japanese junk. Subaru and Honda both get a thumbs down from me on their user serviceability. (n)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, a quick stop at Tractor Supply today gave me a 12 volt “universal” coil (we shall see, the snout is a little different and it came with its own plug boot, wondering if I should have just ordered one from Yesterday’s Tractors) and a “Ford” key switch for the ignition. Going to have to do something about the wires that come pre-attached because I’m not sure they work. But that’s not all that hard. They appear to be soldered to the tabs, not sure if a cut and splice of the wire would be better or if I should pop the solder and just go with spade connects or solder my own wire in… decisions…

May or may not mess with it tomorrow. Really need to get my property mowed after I finish picking up sticks and I really need to get working on some vehicles, but I’m curious to see if fixing this wiring mess improves start/run. Really want it running, I see several tasks for it in the near future.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Put the carb back together on the Honda mower and went to start it up. I think the bendix is stuck or something, spins but doesn’t engage.

I’m really getting tired of working on this Japanese junk. Subaru and Honda both get a thumbs down from me on their user serviceability. (n)
If it was a Ford starter it would be called an "over running clutch drive". It sounds like the bendix is toast. Fairly easy to replace.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I actually got the mower working. Realized that I had to take the flywheel off the get the starter off, great design... bravo...

Ended up putting some oil on top the spur gear and beating on it a while and it loosened itself up. Was just stuck. Starts fine now.

Now that it runs, I am noticing a slight miss, have a new plug for it I'll put in. End of the day, it's a lawn mower, I can live with a slight miss.

Have to fix the discharge chute. Going to make one out of sheet metal I have laying around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals