• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine swapping with or without transmission?

jmabarone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I'm getting ready to replace my engine and I was wondering if it'd be better to leave the transmission attached to the engine to pull it out (and put it back in). I don't know that I'll have enough extensions to get to the top trans. bolts...

Thanks,
Jake

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Top trans bolts can usually be had with a wrench at the top.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
get yourself a 13mm or 1/2" ratcheting wrench (they are somewhere inbetween which is handy, they're metric bolts though) and you can do the top two bellhousing bolts from the top or botom, I think I did all 8 of mine last time from the bottom but the top is sometimes easier (on the Turbo there's a couple coolant lines running across the back which makes those two more interesting). these engines are long, leave the tranny in place, put a ratchet strap over the top of the frame rails (connect the hooks to the inside bottom of the frame) to hold it in place, and put a piece of 2x4 on top of the radius arm crossmember for good measure.

jmabarone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
get yourself a 13mm or 1/2" ratcheting wrench (they are somewhere inbetween which is handy, they're metric bolts though) and you can do the top two bellhousing bolts from the top or botom, I think I did all 8 of mine last time from the bottom but the top is sometimes easier (on the Turbo there's a couple coolant lines running across the back which makes those two more interesting). these engines are long, leave the tranny in place, put a ratchet strap over the top of the frame rails (connect the hooks to the inside bottom of the frame) to hold it in place, and put a piece of 2x4 on top of the radius arm crossmember for good measure.
thanks for the tips. my previous experience with engine swapping is from older BMWs, and it is generally easier to pull the engine and transmission out and put it back in together as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals