• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine sensors and such

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone have one if those handy diagrams with the location and names of all the sensors on the motor?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Need year and engine to set locations.

There are a few standard locations for sensors and controls
A Sensor is what the computer uses to gather information about engine's operation, i.e. O2 sensor gets oxygen content in exhaust, IAT sensor gets intake's air temperature.

A Control is what the computer uses to adjust engine operation, i.e. IAC Valve is used to set idle level, fuel injectors are used to set fuel to air ratio/mix.

EGR system has a sensor AND a control

TPS(throttle position sensor) will be on the upper intake on the opposite side of where the throttle cable hooks up.
IAC valve will be close to the TPS
O2 sensor will be on the exhaust pipe close to the exhaust manifold, V6 will have 2 of these, on 1996 and up Rangers there will be another O2 sensor in back of the Cat converter.

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah i forgot to meantion that... i have an 85 2.3l i just need to know what actually on the engine itself and where theyre at.. i know where the o2 sensor, tps and egr valve are thats about it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good general info here on the Lima engines: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4cylinders.shtml

Couldn't find a "map" for the '85, this is an '89 so has Distributor-less ignition system:
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/1dhg5-intake-air-temp-sensor-located-1989-ford.html

But you really don't have alot of sensors.
MAP sensor on the passenger side firewall, it has a vacuum hose and 3 wire connector, you can find it that way, it is not large, it is the main sensor the computer uses to set the fuel/air mix, needs a good vacuum hose with no leaks to do it's job.

ECT sensor tells the computer the engine coolant temperature, this temp decides if computer runs engine rich with high idle(choke mode for cold engine) or lean with low idle and good MPG(warmed up engine).
ECT sensor is on the drivers side of the block, towards the front.
ECT SENSOR has 2 wires connected, there is also a 1 wire SENDER that looks similar, but it is for the dash board temp gauge.

Distributor has a sensor inside that sets the spark and injector timing.

You should have an IAT(intake air temp) sensor on either the upper intake or air filter housing.

You already know about the O2 sensor and TPS.

Last edited:

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Theres a sensor on the front of the intake manifold with a two wire connector that i dont know the name of and i saw a knock sensor on oreilly that looked very similar to it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Knock sensor would be on the head or block.
Probably IAT sensor if it is on the intake manifold.

All sensors are two or more wires, temp gauge and oil pressure are 1 wire senders, these use the engine as the ground, sensors do not, so have to have at least 2 wires.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals