• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical Quandry

RoDo26EOD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
Alright, here are the symptoms.
Wake up,....go to start the truck get one click and nothing. Assume it's the battery and drive my mustang to work. Comeback and go to jump it the the truck. After 10 mins I go to start the truck and nothing. No clicks, no dash buzzer, no headlights. Nothing. Like there's is no battery, and its at the time jumped to my 03 Mustang.
I had one event were the buzzer came on, but that was it. Every other attempt to start, no reaction to turning the key. Suggestions?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Start simple. Check your battery clamps and the large connections to ground and the starter relay and the starter motor. Make sure they are all clean and tight.

Also verify that you're getting +12v to the signal terminal on the starter relay, when the key is in the start position.

Let us know the results of those checks, and that will determine how we proceed next.

Scott

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1

Battery is disconnected, whether or not it looks disconnected, it is disconnected

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Another +1, but if that is not the issue another thing to consider is that the battery's charge may be so low that it is drawing all the current away from the truck's electrical system.
I left my headlights on one time and totally discharged my battery. When I tried to start it it did nothing... no click or anything. I thought, "No problem it is a manual transmission, I can just roll it off." It was sitting at the top of a very long hill. I rolled halfway down the hill with the ignition on, in second gear and the clutch pedal up and it would not fire.
Once I disconnected the battery and tried again it fired up as soon as I let out the clutch.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another +1, but if that is not the issue another thing to consider is that the battery's charge may be so low that it is drawing all the current away from the truck's electrical system.
I left my headlights on one time and totally discharged my battery. When I tried to start it it did nothing... no click or anything. I thought, "No problem it is a manual transmission, I can just roll it off." It was sitting at the top of a very long hill. I rolled halfway down the hill with the ignition on, in second gear and the clutch pedal up and it would not fire.
Once I disconnected the battery and tried again it fired up as soon as I let out the clutch.
He let it charge for 10 minutes with jumper cables from his mustang before trying to crank it. If everything else was connected properly, that would have been plenty to get some response from the starter. His problem is not a simple dead battery.

Never, never, never try to run a computer controlled vehicle without the battery connected. At best, the computer gets confused and shuts the engine down. At worst, you can destroy the engine computer.

Last edited:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Years ago I picked up a brand new battery cable for our old Bronco we retired.

We had a no start no crank...even with a brand new cable. The voltmeter and test light showed we had power to the relay! But dead as a stone.

We then found the battery cable new out of the box was defective. The cable is constructed with the copper wiring being molded into the battery terminal end. Except there was only 1 strand of copper (IF THAT) connected. The slightest load caused the voltage to tank.

Clean the terminals and ensure they are snug. You don't have to kill them tight! Then do the same with the solenoid if on the fender. At times the "S" terminal for the starter from the ignition switch can get some boogers built up and it will do a no start when ever it feels like it. Do those checks with the negative terminal disconnected. No sense in blowing up with could be a good battery!

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals