• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical/Alternator Problem

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well, about 3 months ago, I started to notice that my volt meter was spiking up and down a bit when I turned my lights on. Every day, it started doing it more and more and it would eventually be noticeable when I had my map lights on. I ignored the problem until just two weeks ago.

I was driving down the freeway when out of nowhere, my lights and dash dimmed. I checked the volt meter and it as in between normal range and L. This only happened for about 30 seconds. After that, the volt meter suddenly jumped back to normal range and everything went back to normal.

So, fast forward to today and the same thing happened in the freeway, but the only difference is that I drove 15 miles and arrived home and volt gauge was low. I turned the truck off and on and that didn't solve the problem. Then I noticed that when the truck was on the ON position, my battery light was not coming on at all. I waited 30 minutes, checked it again, and this time, the battery light did come on while on the ON position and when I started the truck, it worked normal. But after a minute, the needle dipped again and when I turned it off and put it on the ON position, the battery light was no longer turning on. Everytime this happens, it is as if the battery where the only source of energy and the alternator not working.
If this sounds confusing, here is a vid of it while it dips down out of nowhere (around 00:17) Hopefully this may explain more. If anyone can help me diagnose the problem, the help is much appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APY0WBzCL4

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the alternater brushes are about gone and by now probably the slip rings. You could take it in to be tested but it sounds like time for a new one.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Would you happen to know if an alternator from a 91 Ford Explorer 4.0 Automatic would fit a 95 Ranger 2.3 Manual Tranns? I happen to have a spare alternator from the time that we owned that explorer and it would really save me money if it fit.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
compare the two, if they look the same use it

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I changed the alternator today and everything worked great. Thanks for the help.

Just an extra note, I used a spare alternator off of my old 91 explorer I used to have; perfect fit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals