• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric conversions, are they happening now?

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey everyone, wondering if electric conversions have started popping up yet. I love my truck but can only imagine I'll need to convert it to electric if it's going to be my daily driver 10-15 years from now.

Overall, everything seems to be in place for an electric conversion.... We already have write-ups on the supporting mods, steering, e-fans, etc. From what I'm seeing, it's just a matter of someone doing the ev specific stuff (battery, motor, charger, motor controller)

Retaining 4x4 should even be possible.... It's certainly got me excited. If you know of any ranger conversions, especially a 4x4 conversion, I'd love to hear about it...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Conversions already happened at the factory. Ford made the ranger electric back in 2000 for a short run. They are kinda rare now since ford tried to get them all back and destroy them. 20 years ago EV tech kinda sucked so these things had miserable range. (About 60 miles if I recall). There's a guy here on the site who owns a couple of them. They are definitely cool but impractical in my opinion.

Modern EV tech in a old school ranger would be awesome though. If you can make the range at leas 200 miles it would be a functional and practical daily diver.

I found this the other day which would make an amazing ranger EV swap but they cost 30 grand. :icon_rofl: it is 400hp beast with 800 foot pounds of torque though which is on par with a modern pickup diesel for power. And electric motors don't really have power bands, that power is just there instantly.

With this setup you could very easily run a divorced t-case for 4x4.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My issue with ford's ev ranger is 1, you're stuck with a 98-00 truck and two, without swapping out the ev side of things (motor and accompanying electronics) even with a brand new battery pack you'll have lackluster performance.
Instead, what interests me is swapping a truck (year of choice) with ev hardware meeting the current standard... More acceleration than you'd want, more torque than you need, and a range similar to what the truck is already capable of

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My issue with ford's ev ranger is 1, you're stuck with a 98-00 truck and two, without swapping out the ev side of things (motor and accompanying electronics) even with a brand new battery pack you'll have lackluster performance.
Instead, what interests me is swapping a truck (year of choice) with ev hardware meeting the current standard... More acceleration than you'd want, more torque than you need, and a range similar to what the truck is already capable of
Yup thats where the new tech comes in. When prices drop on these kits I'm sure we will see them done.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are a few options for electric conversion of older vehicles

One is to replace the internal combustion engine and transmission with an electric motor in the engine bay, if its a DC motor then Reverse is done just by swapping poles
You could keep transfer case in this method for 4WD, so would have 2WD, 4H and 4L

Other way is an electric motor rear axle, 2WD, or front axle, or BOTH, AWD

And then there are electric wheels, electric motor is IN the wheel, well you bolt your tire and rim to the motor, you could have 1 to 4 electric wheels
The Luner Rover(Apollo) used 4 electric wheels

The controller is the big deal and the big safety concern, if it shorts out you are "FULL THROTTLE" until vehicle meets an immovable object :)
A lot of AMPS go thru the controller

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
for those that want something different,,,, full electric fork lifts have been around for a long time.
solid state conversions were happening in the late 70s, I can't imagine how far that technology has advanced since then with the help of computers and lithium ion batteries.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
A thing to keep in mind is the charging. For faster charging, modern electric vehicles need a special charger to do the job. Fine if all you are going to use the vehicle for is daily driving and going to and from work. If you need a vehicle for a trip out of town, finding compatible charging stations will take some work. I know our local Dunkin Donuts has a charging station. I don't recall seeing one elsewhere around here. Then there is the wait time and how much you have to charge up the battery.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A thing to keep in mind is the charging. For faster charging, modern electric vehicles need a special charger to do the job. Fine if all you are going to use the vehicle for is daily driving and going to and from work. If you need a vehicle for a trip out of town, finding compatible charging stations will take some work. I know our local Dunkin Donuts has a charging station. I don't recall seeing one elsewhere around here. Then there is the wait time and how much you have to charge up the battery.
See that's all I'd do with it. I'd convert my daily commuter, and leave the long-range vehicles gassers.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
See that's all I'd do with it. I'd convert my daily commuter, and leave the long-range vehicles gassers.
One never knows with mine and it's not like I have a guaranteed work schedule. So, I need the full flexibility of a IC engine.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
There's a TV show about it. Vintage Voltage I think its called. Its British...and meh its alright, I didnt yell bloody hell bollocks or anything...They gut these beautifully restored underpowered old cars and make them electric. Its both awesome and blasphemy. The future is weird.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Being that pickup have beds, you could potentially build a removable battery bank for road trips... Not super cost effective as an individual but it'd make for an interesting business (rent a battery from u-haul or whichever when you need to)

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Ive been looking at kits to convert my pit bike, the motors blown. It would cost the same after repairs, less if I sold off the exhaust system and engine core.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you're doing this for Gaea the earth godess, keep in mind the plug in your wall doesn't run on magic. An electric car isn't environmentally friendly just because it doesn't burn fossil fuels directly, a dinosaur is still burning somewhere to put juice in an EV.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you're doing this for Gaea the earth godess, keep in mind the plug in your wall doesn't run on magic. An electric car isn't environmentally friendly just because it doesn't burn fossil fuels directly, a dinosaur is still burning somewhere to put juice in an EV.
Yes, but the power is produced much more efficiently, so less dinosaurs are burnt compared to ICE.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You also need to also consider the environmental impact of the batteries themself. From what I understand the impact of mining the minerals and building the batteries is bigger then the overall impact of an ICE.

However, as I understand it, the science people are working on that trying to find better ways to build batteries, recycle the materials, ect.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals