• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E85

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Doesn’t anybody actually use E85? My Jeep is flex fuel and I tried it for a month. I dropped from an average of 19mpg to 14.5mpg and only saved 30 cents a gallon so overall it was not worth it… but does anybody actually use it? What do you use it for?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have never used it. Besides what you found out, I read that it has a bad habit of separating out in the tank if you don't use it. Turns into alcohol and something that resembles gasoline.

I have seen racing guys use it. They can run higher compression because it has a higher octane. But they have to set their engines up to use it.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's an excellent fuel system cleaner.
The Flex Fuel rangers were actually rated for a bit more hp and tq while running it.
The higher octane prevents knock/pinging
It burns cooler than gasoline
It has a lower carbon footprint than gas
For high performance or boosted applications, it can make a lot of financial sense compared to the price of Premium. You can get higher octane, better cleaning, for $0.60/gal less or more. Turbo/supercharger guys love it here in the corn belt.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been using it regularly in my F-150 this summer, mileage takes a ding but still cheaper overall than regular gas.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
My dad tried it in his jeep grand cherokee, said its only “worth it” if E-85 was a certian price lower than normal gas. (I forget how much) Ive tried it in the escape, power felt the same but it does indeed get less mpg on E85.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I've been considering running it in my racecar, whenever that damn thing gets finished. Race gas power without the 12$ a gallon price tag.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dad tried it in his jeep grand cherokee, said its only “worth it” if E-85 was a certian price lower than normal gas. (I forget how much) Ive tried it in the escape, power felt the same but it does indeed get less mpg on E85.
When it was $2.99 regular had to be above like $3.50.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It has a lower carbon footprint than gas
There have been some studies on this to the contrary. By the time you factor in all the fuel needed to make ethanol fuel, it doesn't end up being a positive for the environment. Here's one of many links on it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
E85 is definitely cleaner burning and keeps fuel system cleaner over all
If you have a Flex fuel vehicle you should run at least two or three tank fulls a year to clean up the gasoline carbon build up

ICE fuels have different Energy potential per gallon
Gasoline is 116,090 BTU/gal
E85 is 88,258 BTU/gal

So you can release same energy with less gasoline, this means gasoline will always have better MPG, if thats the goal
Air/fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.7/1
E85 is 9.7/1, so you have to add more E85 every RPM which is why the lower MPG

E85 worst case will lower MPG by 25%, but 20% is usual, so that would be the price point for the difference in price per gallon
If gasoline was $4/gal then 20% break even would be $3.20 for E85, $0.80 less per gallon
So its an ever changing number as to which is cheaper for MPG at this point

E85 should be 85% ethanol........................but in the US and Canada its actually closer to 70%, lol

Diesel is 128,488 BTU/gal, which is why diesels get even better MPG than gasoline

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There have been some studies on this to the contrary. By the time you factor in all the fuel needed to make ethanol fuel, it doesn't end up being a positive for the environment. Here's one of many links on it.

It's one of those things that you can find whatever you want to find.

E85 is definitely cleaner burning and keeps fuel system cleaner over all
If you have a Flex fuel vehicle you should run at least two or three tank fulls a year to clean up the gasoline carbon build up

ICE fuels have different Energy potential per gallon
Gasoline is 116,090 BTU/gal
E85 is 88,258 BTU/gal

So you can release same energy with less gasoline, this means gasoline will always have better MPG, if thats the goal
Air/fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.7/1
E85 is 9.7/1, so you have to add more E85 every RPM which is why the lower MPG

E85 worst case will lower MPG by 25%, but 20% is usual, so that would be the price point for the difference in price per gallon
If gasoline was $4/gal then 20% break even would be $3.20 for E85, $0.80 less per gallon
So its an ever changing number as to which is cheaper for MPG at this point

E85 should be 85% ethanol........................but in the US and Canada its actually closer to 70%, lol

Diesel is 128,488 BTU/gal, which is why diesels get even better MPG than gasoline
Yeah, E85 is up to 85%.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The only people I know that run E85 have a go fast car. Cheaper to run E85 in your twin turbo Beemer then 110.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If ethanol wasn't subsidized, fuel with ethanol would be more expensive than it is. The gasahol concept looks great on paper but isn't as great in practice for various reasons. There are also better plant sources to make ethanol than corn but corn has been the chosen source. If we could grow our fuel and not impact the food supply, that would be fantastic but it seems that only food makes a good resource for it. So, it's limited by the amount of land available and what can be spared from the food supply.

With the needing to burn more of it to get the same result, I'm wondering if it helps reduce emissions by a significant amount or if it's a zero sum game. If zero sum, we can't make enough of it, we need to burn more of it than gasoline, and it's more expensive, what are we gaining. Even subsidized, we are paying for it with our tax dollars. We just aren't seeing the bill directly.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I've been considering running it in my racecar, whenever that damn thing gets finished. Race gas power without the 12$ a gallon price tag.
An old coworker of mine converted his '68 Roadrunner race car to E85 11 or 12 years ago, from race gas. He already had a plastic fuel cell, he just bought a new carb set up for it on Ebay.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I ran unleaded88 (e15) in my f150 for a few tanks when Sheetz was running the 3.99 promotion earlier in the summer. With the mileage loss it was marginally more cost effective, only because it was $0.80 cheaper. With the normal price of only $0.30 cheaper it's not worth it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If ethanol wasn't subsidized, fuel with ethanol would be more expensive than it is. The gasahol concept looks great on paper but isn't as great in practice for various reasons. There are also better plant sources to make ethanol than corn but corn has been the chosen source. If we could grow our fuel and not impact the food supply, that would be fantastic but it seems that only food makes a good resource for it. So, it's limited by the amount of land available and what can be spared from the food supply.

With the needing to burn more of it to get the same result, I'm wondering if it helps reduce emissions by a significant amount or if it's a zero sum game. If zero sum, we can't make enough of it, we need to burn more of it than gasoline, and it's more expensive, what are we gaining. Even subsidized, we are paying for it with our tax dollars. We just aren't seeing the bill directly.
Ethonal isn't really using food, the US produces way more corn than it needs for food production which is why it was nearly worthless before Ethonal came to be.

My 16 gets about the same mileage on E85 that my 02 did on E10. My 35 gal tank cost about the same to fill as my old 22gal tank... so overall operating expense is about a wash.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals