• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E-Fan upgrade to 89 2.9L... Is there an available port on engine, for sensor?

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
This thread will get back to topic after this thermostat is installed!
But a fun update is that the reverse bit I have has snapped inside the bolt carcass. I had a good pilot hole drilled through it and now it’s filled again, lol. It’s also MUCH more difficult to drill into this new material, so I’m abandoning that.
So I think I’ll be creating a whole new bolt situation just next to the carcass. I can ignore the carcass because it happens to be flush with the water output’s surface when mounted.
Will first drill a hole through the water output piece, then will line it up on engine and drill a hole through into engine block behind it, then tap the hole for 8-32. Will probably expand the hole on water output piece a smidge so that alignment doesn’t have to be completely perfect.
If anybody has any insight or guesses as to how far I can go into the engine at a certain spot adjacent to the dead bolt, I’m all ears. I’m thinking just to the left, practically touching the carcass. Will probably restrict myself to like 1/2” depth. Obviously I don’t want to drill into the water flow cavity itself.
FA27E3F9-0290-47F3-8F6E-AA82D4312B86.jpeg

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
That’s cool looking. My bolt carcass has zero head to it though, it’s just a round shaft that the head broke off of a year ago. So I’m not sure how this would grip. Seems like it would just spin freely. Or, are the inner edges all slanted inward so to speak? Like when you push the socket onto a clean circle face of a shaft, if you push it further and further does it eventually make contact as if the inner diameter of tool decreases?

Sadly I need this truck to run tomorrow, and this kit is out of stock at my local HF. So unless I find something similar at another store, I’ll probably be drilling a second hole later today.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@eightynine4x4 ,
I recommend buying a little more fan than that. I have used a few models, the 1st was very much like the model you have linked. It will work but expect it to last no more than 12-18 months, probably less.

While I admit that this doesn't look much different..IT IS!!

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they have teeth inside that grip the shaft, you tap them onto the remaining shaft then turn and the teeth dig into the shaft
Thinking with the broken drill bit in there it would grip pretty well
Maybe break it off flush so you could redrill

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Yes, they have teeth inside that grip the shaft, you tap them onto the remaining shaft then turn and the teeth dig into the shaft
Thinking with the broken drill bit in there it would grip pretty well
Maybe break it off flush so you could redrill
I’ve got a good new threaded hole next to the carcass. Wasn’t able to remove the carcass of the reverse bit, nor drill into it. Tried a bunch but it’s far more difficult of a material than the OEM bolt material, so I moved on.

Ready with the proper thermostat now and was about to install. But I checked the Haynes for point of reference and figured out that I really don’t understand which way to point/turn the thermostat.

If you look at pics of old one, you maybe can’t tell but the jiggle valve is down and to the left. I’m certain of that. I was expecting to see it pointed up, as RonD you had mentioning positioning the DIY hole upwards for air flow.

Was my old thermostat pointed incorrectly downward the whole time?

Another thing in the Haynes I found is.. “On all except the 4.0L engine, turn the thermostat clockwise to lock it in place on the flats cast into the housing.”

What does that even mean? And is that perhaps the way this old one here is positioned?

E1C5A9DB-A5DA-4593-96F4-90E57CE41BF1.jpeg

F598B1BF-6DDC-4EBC-8F03-3DFEFDA3ADD8.jpeg

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Went with the high noon position of the jiggle valve. Ignored the old position, whatever that was.

Hooked everything up and filled up with a heater hose disconnected until reaching that, did a short warmup and no leaks, decided to go for a drive.. Looks very good. Gauge sat at N/O of normal the whole time no matter what the conditions. Amazing!

No leaks upon return either.

Moving back to the E Fan project soon.
For now, here’s pics of the new bolting. Didn’t really have a choice..

DAB1F092-D328-4947-BC7C-ECA7D94DCBC3.jpeg

7FA32428-A6CC-4A5A-80BC-83BA108A9519.jpeg

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
@eightynine4x4 ,
I recommend buying a little more fan than that. I have used a few models, the 1st was very much like the model you have linked. It will work but expect it to last no more than 12-18 months, probably less.

While I admit that this doesn't look much different..IT IS!!
Thank you for the recommendation on this one! I'll take your advice and spring for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals