• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DTR question

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Will a bad or mis-aligned DTR switch on the transmission cause the transmission not to engage into gear?

My situation is my trans will not engage in D, the truck just sits like it was in either park or neutral, if you pull the lever into 2nd or 1st, then back into D, it engages & pulls just fine, all shifts are normal, no slipping, fluid is clean, not burnt and nothing in the pan.

If you shift from D into neutral & back to D it will not engage, until you drop it into 2nd or low again. Other than this issue the trans works just how it should, reverse is fine, quick to take hold and all the shifts are firm and right on the mph they should be. Even under WOT it shifts great, nice and firm and no slip.

I have replaced the EPC solenoid, valve body gaskets with the bonded gasket / separator plate and the Torque convertor solenoid, and checked the band adjustment.

Thanks in advance for any information.

JP02XLT

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I can think of a few things that would cause that, and the DTR is one of them. I stretched or misaligned shift cable would also do it.

I would start by checking two things.

1) When you go from P to R do the backup lights come on right away.

2) If you unhook the shift cable and throw the selector lever by hand does it engage in drive the first time. (Obviously have the rear wheels off the ground and/or someone holding the brakes when you do that)

You can also look and make sure the notches on the DTR and manual lever line up correctly in P.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info, I will try your suggestions and post back. As far as the alignment of the switch nothing has been take loose recently on it, I would assume it is the factory adjustment, cable / shifter feels normal, but I will check that as well, I have the procedure for aligning the marks from the manual for the switch.

JP02XLT

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I can think of a few things that would cause that, and the DTR is one of them. I stretched or misaligned shift cable would also do it.

I would start by checking two things.

1) When you go from P to R do the backup lights come on right away.

2) If you unhook the shift cable and throw the selector lever by hand does it engage in drive the first time. (Obviously have the rear wheels off the ground and/or someone holding the brakes when you do that)

You can also look and make sure the notches on the DTR and manual lever line up correctly in P.
You're no fun.

But it does sound like a cable issue. I had a broken retainer on my cable that acted similar... I had to go past drive to get into drive.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Some test results.

Backup lights come on right away from park to reverse, cycled it many times and worked as it should every time with and without the gear selector lever attached.

Shift cable itself is free, removed it from the lever & operated by hand from both ends, silky smooth.

Operating trans shift lever by hand (No cable attached), trans does not engage in drive, you have to go to 2nd then back to drive, then everything is working as it should. Acts just like it does when shifting with lever in the cab.

I drove the truck with the cable removed and the trans shift lever in drive and verified I am getting all the forward gears / shifts.

Also removed the trans shift lever and verified the DTR positioning, mark on ring is lined up with the neutral mark on the switch, with the trans in neutral position.

I then unplugged the DTR and shifted the trans threw the ranges with the engine running (Wheels off the ground) and no difference, so I dont think the switch is having any play in the problem.

I you have any ideas fire away, and Thanks

JP02XLT

Last edited:

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finally found out what was wrong, broken Coast clutch hub.

Replaced it and the trans is good as new.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals