• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveshaft gurus

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
I’ve been looking up some part numbers for driveshafts into my 4x4 swap into my 04 edge and I’m showing a difference in years. It’s looking like 99 and older the rear shafts are 2” shorter than 2000+ I’m also going to need to get a front shaft for a bw1354m transfer case. It’s a single cab truck with a 99’ transmission. Does anyone know off top of their gear exactly what years will work? I was planning on getting the measurements off a 99 single cab from weld to weld and go find me one this weekend but now that I saw the differences on dormans website im not so sure about it. I did read where a 95-96 explorer front shaft would be the tits to find.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There was no change in driveshaft length (or transmission length) 1999 -2000.
Ford changed driveshaft style for the 2001 MY (I think only on Supercab trucks), but it wasn't a length change (they switched from a steel driveshaft to aluminum along with changing the t-case rear flange size). They also applied a TSB for the aluminum driveshaft on 1998 to 2000 models due to a slip-spline lubrication issue causing a "thump" when starting from a stop, so some '98-'00 might have the aluminum driveshaft, others will still be the steel shaft.

However there was a length change between 1997-1998 on Reg Cab trucks due to the cab being stretched 3" for '98.

So if your '04 is a Regular Cab, any rear driveshaft from '98-'11 Reg Cab should fit, but make sure it comes from a truck having the same bed length as yours (6' or 7').

Also be aware Ranger BW1354 t-cases have different front output yokes 1997-1998 (the earlier u-joint style being more desirable if you have any sort of locking hubs on the front axle). Whichever year t-case you have, you'll need a front driveshaft from the same side of that year split (I think you might also be able to swap the front output yoke, but I can't say for sure).

Just FYI, Dorman isn't to be trusted as a resource, they're probably one of the worst (I've gotten parts from them that don't fit about as often as ones that do). Instead I usually use the Rockauto website or car-part.com.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals