• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drive shaft u-joint replacement

CrimsonEclipse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
2003 B2300 93K miles.

When changing the fuel filter I noticed a slight movement on the drive shaft when pushed.

This year has no zerc fittings on the universal (or ball joints for that matter:annoyed:) so I was never able to service them properly.

I'm also guessing that I can remove the drive shaft and replace the U-joints.
(hopefully something that can be properly serviced too)

Are there any "gotchyas" or tricks that I should know about before performing this task? and will the new parts have a grease fitting?

Thanks

CE

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It's a preference thing, really. Greaseable joints are inherently weaker because they are made up of less material; thus handling less torque. However, I've seen several arguments saying they last longer because they are serviceable. I am putting Spicer 5-760X (non-greasable) in my front end because I want the added strength.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just have a vice to do them. Don't pound the hell out of them with the hillbilly socket trick. Just remember to grease them if you are putting greaseables back in there. I put them in mine and try to do them every oil change.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The new parts having grease fittings will depend greatly on the brand you get. Some have them, some don't.

Make sure to mark your drive shaft and axle flanges so that you can everything back in phase. Otherwise you get a great vibration.

Also, make sure that you smack them to free the needles before putting the shaft back in, or else you will be doing this again in a week. The best method I have found is to put the two non-pressed sides of the cross on the vice so that the end of the shaft hangs in the middle then hit the ear with a 2lb hammer behind the cap. If you spin the joint by hand before and after smacking it, you should be able to feel a big difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals