• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do They Make A Dana 35 Ttb Truetrac

B24FREE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I can't seem to get a good answer to weather or not there is a Detroit Truetrac that fits the TTB dana 35. All I have found is that the pn#912A569
might. Anyone got an answer.:icon_confused:

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The D35 TrueTrac will physically fit in the TTB D35 axle, although it's been said the unit wasn't designed to run in the opposite direction in a front axle.

Reider Racing used to reassemble them so they would work properly in front applications although now that they are apparently out of business, I'm not sure if anyone else is doing it (you could probably reverse all the gears inside it yourself, although that would void any warranty on it most likely).

pdmustgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was told they work no matter which direct they turn. Torque being applied to them is what makes them work this what I got from Eaton. Reider Racing was modify truetrac to fit IFS dana 35. Funny thing there website is still up and running that they are out of business. You can still buy online but at your own risk through them.
This was also was the Torsen IFS Dana 35 was put on hold:annoyed::temper:

B24FREE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I would think that it would not matter what direction it turns. What good is a LS that works in drive, but if you pop it in reverse its a one-tire-fryer? That can't be right?:icon_confused:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There is a thrust washer that basically needs to be moved to the opposite end of the pinions

AD

B24FREE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Well I snagged a Truetrac off Ebay last week for $228.00 It is PN. 912A569. Last weekend I removed the stock open diff. and pressed some new bearings on the Truetrac. I popped it in and it fit into the housing just like the stock one. There are however 2 things that concern me. 1. This is made for 1.18" 27 spline axles and IIRC our D35 TTB axles are 1.14". 2. I looked this thing over and didn't see any thrust washers.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A 27 spline axle is a 27 spline axle. No worries there.

The thrust washers would be inside the unit, you need to disassemble it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Truetrac for Dana 35

I recently checked again with EATON regarding the Truetrac for the Dana 35 and its suitability for use in reverse rotation applications. The response was that "technically" they do not make a unit for the Dana 35TTB. Usage in a reverse rotation application "will most likely result in less torque bias".

So, where does that leave us? Rather than trying to explain all the details, I will direct your attention to a website that shows what can be done to a Truetrac from a Land Rover and is also what we have been doing for Ranger/Explorer applications for some time, now.

http://www.discoweb.org/truetracgears/index.htm

This website seems to be a bit of a hit or miss, so if any of you are having problems, let me know, and I will email you a copy of the page and it's pictures.

Don

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you should of just bought an aussie locker

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I recently checked again with EATON regarding the Truetrac for the Dana 35 and its suitability for use in reverse rotation applications. The response was that "technically" they do not make a unit for the Dana 35TTB. Usage in a reverse rotation application "will most likely result in less torque bias".

So, where does that leave us? Rather than trying to explain all the details, I will direct your attention to a website that shows what can be done to a Truetrac from a Land Rover and is also what we have been doing for Ranger/Explorer applications for some time, now.

http://www.discoweb.org/truetracgears/index.htm

This website seems to be a bit of a hit or miss, so if any of you are having problems, let me know, and I will email you a copy of the page and it's pictures.

Don
Hey thanks for posting that link. I had suspected it was something as simple as switching all the gears over between sides (basically reversing the whole inner drive assy). Good to know :icon_thumby:

you should of just bought an aussie locker
Maybe he didn't want a locker. :icon_idea:

B24FREE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Thats true. I did NOT want a locker up front because this thing sees 95% street duty. I had a locker in the old D28 and did not like it when the snow started comming down.

Anyway I popped in the truetrac in May of last year. As of today, almost a year later, the diff. is working great. I did not disassemble it or reverse gears or mod. it in any way before I installed it either.

Infact I WILL be buying another and installing it in the 1990 B2 that I just bought.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
a Truetrac in a SNOW application set up "Backwards" should work well, frankly I'd like LESS torque bias in the snow....

But considering that the truetrac is a copy of a torsen and the torsen was originally designed for front axle applications (particularly in the snow...)

It should do well.

I'll tell you that driving an F-150 with a limited slip in the front was great for producing a feeling of invincibility... however misplaced that feeling might be...

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals