• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor Problems

obs_Landon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 cologne V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
leveled with no parts
Tire Size
225/70r15
My factory 2.9 v6 distributor quit working one day when I stalled it spun over. We changed the pick up modual(black color) and the ignition modual and about a week later, I was sitting in a parking lot and it just died and just spun over, we changed the ingintion modual again and had to swap the pickup modual again, this time we had a blue one laying around, later figured out that the blue color was an orginal motorcraft brand pick up modual but we got it working but we missed the allignment on the distributor by one tooth so the timings messed up, waiting on this just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before. Also ISO of an oem orginal distributor for a 2.9 v6

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Pull the distributor, find top dead center (compression stroke), reinstall the distributor with the rotor pointing at #1 terminal on the cap, pull the SPOUT plug, set the timing, reinstall SPOUT, tighten distributor bolt, done.

obs_Landon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 cologne V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
leveled with no parts
Tire Size
225/70r15
Thats what we did last night but the distributor wouldn't sit down and line up with the inside the motor and when it finally sat down we ended up moving the tooth back 1 time and then it went down in the motor. we didnt get enough time to take it out again, so we are running it with the spout out and the timin just way off but it will do for now I hope.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The distributor shaft is also the oil pump drive, so its bottom section must also align with the oil pump's drive shaft
It is a hex shape shaft, bottom of distributor looks like this: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/2-9l-3-0l-v6-tech-32/65230d1387608676-synchronizer-shaft-not-engaging-oil-pump-image.jpg

So once you have lowered in the distributor to where you want it to be and it doesn't slide down in all the way, rotate the crank shaft 90deg left and right, then back to where you want it, this should cause the distributor to line up with oil pump drive and fall in the rest of the way

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you have a long socket or bit that is the same size as the oil pump drive shaft you can just turn that too... used to use a really long 1/4" extension bit on a drill to spin 302 oil pump drives while I had the engine on a stand. Just be careful not to drop it into the engine :)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've had many problems with aftermarket stators- that's what Ford calls the magnetic pickup- and some aftermarket ignition modules aren't much better. Motorcraft sill sells modules. If you get repeat module failures check the coil resistance, resistance too low will overheat the module.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals