• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Disassembling a Saginaw for rebuild

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So how does one separate the pump from the reservoir on the Saginaw? I removed the 3 hex bolts and removed the horseshoe bracket. Also removed the two 14mm bolts on the back of the pump. Only thing left on one large bolt that is on a block on back or reservoir (as noted with red mark in pic). Does that come off too? Tried a little bit but don't want to break anything. Bought this pump used and want to rebuild it before I install it

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
That helped. Got it apart and have the new pump, just the shaft on the new pump is shorter. Thought I read somewhere I can swap the shafts over as well? Or is there a different pump I can get with the right shaft length? Dont want to tear into the pump and end up screwing it up

Last edited:

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So after a long day of getting this pump installed, it is leaking at the high pressure line at the pump (where it screws into the top of that block part with the red dot)

Looks like the fitting on the line is not compatible (slightly too long and not screwing in all the way). Suggestions?

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Doing a little googling looks like I could get an adapter?

What have you all done when it comes to getting the pressure hose to fit? Will i need to get a shop make me a hose with the right fittings?

Also, what is the trick in getting the pressure hose off at the steering gear? There is no room or access to get a wrench or socket in there

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals