• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DaveR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello All Ford Lovers! I'm Dave and have owned fords all my life. 76 F100, 78 F150, 82 Ranger, 88 Full Size Bronco, 93 Full size Bronco(both Eddie Bauer's), 88 Ranger, 91 Explorer, 98 Explorer, and my current is a 99 Champagne colored, supercab, Auto x-msn and hubs, 4.0 liter, 4wd, and everything as far as I know is stock.

I'm not a super gearhead, but I prefer working on my own equipment, and I like my equipment to be 100% operational at all times...cosmetics is fine, and I appreciate a handsome truck, but my goal is mechanical soundness and precision...all else is secondary! something goes wrong I know where to turn..heh heh...

I am a Retired Army Helicopter Pilot, so again, I prefer to be active in the proccesses that will make or break me.

I've already found a ton of good info here and I'll be back often, I'm sure. Nice to know this place exists for us commoners. And thanks you the staff for putting in the work.

Now, specifically, I'm doing some work and have some Questions before I start buying parts and such.

I realize this is just an introduction, so my first q is:

I just did my front brakes and found the lower ball joints and upper control arms are wore the h**l out, so that's next on the list. I have access to Ft Benning Auto Craft Shop which is AWESOME...a hint for other retirees or AD members....if you haven't been to one, it's worth the look=see. They have ALL the tools(yo include special) you'll need, lubricants, air drop points are at every one of the 30 bays and of course they all the impact stuff to go with it. Wheel oil catchers that you can position directly under what ever your draining(different colored barrels for oil, anti-freeze etc...). They have straight lifts, scissors etc....and 22 bays have lifts. Prices are EXTREMELY reasonable. Example: Oil change---I bring my own oil and filter, use their air grease gun for lube points(no cost) and I finished in 40 minutes. I had to pay the minimum of one hour on a bay with lift which came out to $3.00, and a $3.00 per day environmental fee(disposing of old fluids and such I guess), but that's charged ONCE daily. Last oil change package I got at wallyWorld was $44.00. Yeah well, I don't think I'll be using them any more. Mechanic also told me(after I asked) there are no grease fittings. Of course I differed and asked him to stick it back on the rack....said he was too busy. I didn't report it to the boss as I could just tell the guy was having a really sh***y day. So just no more WM.

Ok, I'm onto my front end now. I want to do as much as I can while I've got everything torn apart, and I'll need all the help I can muster.

1) Is there anyplace that sells a quality kit that includes everything(e.g lower b/j's, upper control arms, tie rod ends, bushings etc...

2) I'm not trying to build a rock hopper, and I don't want to raise it anymore than it is. I DO want the parts that I'm replacing are high quality and built to take a beating. I hunt, fish etc....so this is important.

So, Front end being my #1 project right now, any info on kits?, reasons not to kit?, best quality for the money? Best resources out there that would help in my quest for the perfectly tuned Ranger. Any and all info is welcome. I'll be tighteninig up this vehicle for a few years as money allows, so I'll start posting pics this weekend.

Thanks in Advance, One and ALL

Dave Ruddell
CW0(R) U.S. Army

DaveR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
One other thing....

I've done my best to read the rules, and intend on being a responsible member of this community, so please, while I do have an ego, feel free to let me know if I'm going about things wrong, or if there's a better easier way.

Thanks Again,

Dave Ruddell

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Welcome Dave!

I merged your two separate threads into one for you. I hope you find all the answers to your questions here!

My suggestion would be to replace the parts that are needed with Moog greasable replacements for the best longevity.

Again, Welcome from the staff at TRS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals