• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DANA 44 SAS Swap questions

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a full width HP dana 44 out of a 79 f150 for $80 today. It has 3.54 gears and I only got the long side shaft assembly for now, the guy is looking for the short side and I SHOULD have it soon. its needs everything from the knuckles out, since he used the knuckle/brakes on his early bronco to get discs. So my plan is to grab some chevy flat tops, run a F150 brake/hub assembly and for now try to find a set of used gears for cheap. I want to keep this as cheap as possible. I'm unemployed and spending my tax refund to pay for all this, so that means using junk yard parts and getting hooked up. I can get a complete ttb dana 44 from a buddies 84 bronco full size since he is also sasing his rig. Now my question is, just to reassure me, will the dana 44 ttb spindles, brakes, hubs work on the chevy knuckles since the spindles are both 6 bolt (I think?) and I get the ford 5 on 5.5. It seems like it will work and it also seems like the gears might work in my housing as well since their both rev cut. I just hope this will all work together, cause if it does my sas/axle build will only cost me around $500. any help, reassurance, and/or advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did you read the Announcement at the top of this forum?
Read ME First!
Yeah I did, but the TRS d44 page doesn't list info for scout d44s or width info for full size d44s. I asked for info on d44 axles other than the wagoneer and the EB axle.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
you said you didn't want to narrow. So, scout 44's have a passenger side diff and no caster built in. Not a good swap axle without some work.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i used to have a 89 wagoner but it did not have lock out hubs can you convert these axels to lock out? im wanting to use a waggy axel in my 88 ranger, but i want to have warn hubs.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Updated thread, thanks for the info so far.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
got an axle, now I have some new questions I need answers for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals