• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cranked too much??

arnold1361

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This past weekend I finally decided to level my truck by cranking my torsion bars. Initially, my truck sat at 34.5" from ground level to the bottom of fender wells. I only wanted to crank them 1.75" so as not to cause too much wear on my front end components. I was able to crank them to achieve the 1.75" of lift, but it maxed my driver side torsion bar out. I came pretty close to maxing out the passenger side as well. The bars are 6 years old and have never been cranked prior to me doing it this weekend. I thought that I should be able to get close to 2.5" - 3" of lift if I maxed out the torsion bars, though I`m sure that is with new bars not 6 year old bars like my truck has. Anyway, am I going to be fine with my torsion bars maxed out, or should I crank them down a bit? I really like the look of them maxed out, but I don`t want to cause any damage. I`m planning on getting an alignment in a couple days. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

TastySloth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As much as I don't like body lifts, I say lower them and do a body lift. I mean, you aren't going to gain any travel with the bars cranked anyhow and you will be able to maintain ride quality. Hey, it's cheaper than the $1400+ suspension lift and you don't have to replace the front driveline in 10k miles.

edit: Did you do it with a full tank of fuel? That could be the reason why the drivers side got maxed out to gain that much...

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It'll ride noticeably rougher since it can't extend any further.

1/2 of your spring shock travel is now compromised (up travel).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals