• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant leak; thermostat housing suspected

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Found my reservoir and rad nearly dry tonight while replacing my front shocks. Theres coolant running down the front of the head on the passenger side burning off on the passenger side manifold and liquid pooled in the valley (don't know if that bit is coolant or just water).
The three options I'm seeing here in order of most, to least probable: A cracked thermostat housing (In which case I'll swap it for an aluminum), I missed a hose connection, or a blown head gasket (which somehow is only affecting the water jacket)

The Question: There doesn't appear to be a ton of space around the thermostat housing, so how should I go about inspecting it? Am I stuck removing the assembly or is there something easier to remove that would allow for inspection without digging the housing out the vehicle?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Removing the throttle body will allow a better look at it, but typically you need to remove the intake manifold also to get the thermostat housing out because of the temperature sensors. The model year 2007 may have only one sensor and there may be room to get it out without removing the intake manifold.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
An endoscope camera attached to your stupidphone would help inspect the tight quarters around the ThermoStatHousing.
Description of coolant in the engine valley is a near 100% confirmation that the ThermoStatHousing is the leaker.
If it's never been replaced, now 14+ years old, it's done it's duty. Aluminum is the way to go.
I'd replace any other Coolant system component that is as old, while your doing it.
Consider replacing the OilPressurized TimingTensioners if they're more than 75kMiles old, while the ThermoStatHousing is out of the way.
Click here for more info on the ThermoStatHousing.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a bit of an update, earlier today I found moisture on the housing, as well as small amount of pooling atop the power steering pump bracket.
Having shoved my phone under the throttle body, I was able to get this image...

20211208_132800.jpg

Notice the moisture along the plastic welded seam, and on the aluminum mount.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good that now you've confirmed problem & now know that you need a new TStatHousing.
First removing the SerpBelt & IdlerPulley (easy to do)
makes getting TStatHousing & the short ByPassHose removed+replaced quite a bit easier.
Again, consider replacing any other Coolant system component that is original or 10+years old while you're doing this.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First half of the parts arrived today, but the thermostat is kinda funky looking... Know if this is correct for the 2007 4.0L? The thermostat doesn't match the pictures online for the part number. Not really wanting to tear into the engine without all the parts present in order to find out

20211214_202924.jpg20211214_202936.jpg

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought as much.... I got the private label off rockauto. Best as I can tell, the wrong part was in the box. I'll see about getting it swapped out

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That doesn’t look like any thermostat I’ve ever changed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals