• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

converting 87 xlt to stx

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im not sure if this is in the right place but what would i need to do in order to convert my xlt into a stx? its a 87 super cab that now has a 5 speed, manual 1350, and 89 seats

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well since the two are just trim packages with little real significance, paint and decals mostly.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
the stx had an 'l/s n the back

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Other then some stickers, nothing really.

If you are talking about the factory "lift" that was the High-Rider option.
The STX also had the pushbar/brush guard option.
The bed bar option.
The rear tube bumper option.

Notice a pattern forming here?

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so pretty much if i change the rear bumper and get the decals itll be a stx and no i wasnt talking about the highrider how ever much id love to have on i dont think ill find one for the lift and if i do that i might as well just get a skyjacker kit and the truck already has a tube push bar on the front

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so pretty much if i change the rear bumper and get the decals itll be a stx and no i wasnt talking about the highrider how ever much id love to have on i dont think ill find one for the lift and if i do that i might as well just get a skyjacker kit and the truck already has a tube push bar on the front
They were still options so it isn't required.

STX's were a fancy boring truck... if that makes any sense at all. Kinda like a sporty XL. Best thing would be to get a '87 brochure and compare the grille and stuff between your XLT and a STX.

BTW those full length sticker jobs are kinda hard to find...

fabman_52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 3.0
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 STX! The 87 STX didn't have decals it had chrome STX emblems on the rear quarter panels!
It also had a heaver suspension. Bucket Seats, Black front and rear Bumpers, chrome grill! Mine also has all options that were available in 87, Power windows, locks, and power lumbar, cruise and tilt, large solid rear window. Paint is two tone dark gray over silver! It's a really nice truck!
Have it torn down right now, doin some metal work, gettin it ready for paint. Goin to do a solid dark gray with a strip across the hood and down the fenders to just behind the doors. Its an extended cab with a 2.9 automatic. Let me see if I can get some pix up in the next day or so!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 STX! The 87 STX didn't have decals it had chrome STX emblems on the rear quarter panels!
It also had a heaver suspension. Bucket Seats, Black front and rear Bumpers, chrome grill! Mine also has all options that were available in 87, Power windows, locks, and power lumbar, cruise and tilt, large solid rear window. Paint is two tone dark gray over silver! It's a really nice truck!
Have it torn down right now, doin some metal work, gettin it ready for paint. Goin to do a solid dark gray with a strip across the hood and down the fenders to just behind the doors. Its an extended cab with a 2.9 automatic. Let me see if I can get some pix up in the next day or so!
The weird thing is what was chromed and what was "blacked out" on the STX Vs an XLT.

While the STX models had blacked out bumpers they had chromed grilles and windshield mouldings, while the WLX's "reversed this"

On my '87 which had the Chromed STX badges, my Uncle's EARLIER production '87 STX had the stripes instead.... Go figuire...

and NEITHER of our STX supercabs had a limited slip rear axle. from the factory.

the only consistant thing the STX's had that the other trucks didn't was stiffer springs, GAS shocks (factory was Monroe SensATracks) and swaybars at both ends of the truck.

Also the STX's through '89 were only sold with the 2.9 engine (you could buy a 4cyl XLT) and typically the grabbiest axle offered for the engine trans combination (5sp STX = 3.73, A/T STX = 4.10)

AD

mark@jnztuning.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
For the record, my 87 STX is very option-less. It has the full length decals to separate the blue from the silver, but it has black bumpers, black windshield trim, 3.73 open diff... It only has power lumbar seats.

I didn't know about the sway bars as being standard on STX. I'm trying to think if mine has a sway bar in the rear... although it does handle really well for being a truck :icon_thumby:

fabman_52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok Here are some updated pix of my STX! in the end I decided to go Blue and Black with the stripe to match interior! Well I guess I won't be putting pix up, says I have to re-size my pix and I have no clue on how to do it!
But I do have pix on Ford Ranger Forums, (FRF) if ya wanna see them!
Thanks, George.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals