• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil spacers

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Fastenall is expensive... all they have are plated washers, we use a local bolt supply (Oregon Bolt) at work and they had plain steel 1 1/4" washers (1 3/8" inside, 3" outside) for around $.25 each at works cost, I think I used 6 per side so I'm in it about $3.

cheap and simple, I could have put on a couple more washers but was questioning alignability

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dang, thats a great price. I just have no choice, nobody but the local fastenal joint carries this size washer. And if I order them over the internet I pay like $10 s/h anyway....

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Crap, so which is the ideal ID then, 1-3/8" or 1-1/2"?

Shane, you say you bought washers with a 1-1/2" ID (1-3/8" nominal size), but you recommend here that I get 1-3/8" ID (which is a 1-1/4" nominal size washer).... so I'm still confused

Like was posted in that other thread, you dont want the ID to be too much or it allows the washers the ability to shift around.

I also don't want it to be too small or I'll never fit the stud down the middle.

Anyone know definitively which ID size I want?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Crap, so which is the ideal ID then, 1-3/8" or 1-1/2"?

Shane, you say you bought washers with a 1-1/2" ID (1-3/8" nominal size), but you recommend here that I get 1-3/8" ID (which is a 1-1/4" nominal size washer).... so I'm still confused

Like was posted in that other thread, you dont want the ID to be too much or it allows the washers the ability to shift around.

I also don't want it to be too small or I'll never fit the stud down the middle.

Anyone know definitively which ID size I want?
1 3/8" nominal is what you want. Some of mine measured 1 1/2", and some at 1 3/8". They will work fine still. (It's only 1/8" off)

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
plus they are $75 vs about $10 for washers.....

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Here is another reason, aluminum looks like crap on an offroad truck. Unless you are trying to build a show truck (which in that case you would buy the correct length coils anyway, maybe even King's) aluminum looks stupid on anything that will see the harshness of offroading.

I see no reason to waste money on the aluminum, or daystar spacers:

They are expensive.
They deteriorate/crack
The aluminum ones look blingy
Neither are adjustable
Neither are safe due to them failing more often than not

I'm sold on washers to say the least., and can't and will not understand why some people insist on paying more for a product that is less effective than something a lot cheaper, not to mention safer.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you dont wanna touch it again, you use steel washers. Aluminum or poly spacers break apart and fall off.

You can do the steel washers for like $10, or have to replace broken $75 aluminum or poly ones in six months, after they break on you 200 miles from home.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Aluminum never seemed "blingy" to me... :icon_confused:

I had a set like these on mine for maybe 5 years without any issues.

I cannot disagree about the washers though... Cheap, simple, effective.
One time I bought 1¼" washers at Home Depot, they were just a tiny hair small, so I took a rat-tail file and made 6 small notches in the center to fit over the hex part of the axle stud. Took maybe a minute or two per washer to do.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
...One time I bought 1¼" washers at Home Depot, they were just a tiny hair small, so I took a rat-tail file and made 6 small notches in the center to fit over the hex part of the axle stud. Took maybe a minute or two per washer to do.
Thats what I was afraid of. i dont have a file so I want to make sure I get the right ID size.

I just found out that the aftermarket 2" coil spacers they sell like the daystars have a 1.5" ID. So I think I'll go with these from fastenal:

1-3/8" zinc finish flat washers
ID: 1.5"
OD: 3.25"
SKU: 33028

I think someone said the OD isn't such a big deal if its 3.25" instead of 3".

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, O.D. shouldn't matter (at least within reason anyway... If it's like over 5" OD, then certainly that wouldn't work :icon_twisted: )

Irokranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
follow the washers, that is well understood

It affects you in assembly .. length of bolts if you add washers or should use 3 / 4 "stud extenders

Last edited:

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, O.D. shouldn't matter (at least within reason anyway... If it's like over 5" OD, then certainly that wouldn't work :icon_twisted: )
You're exactly right. I installed the washers today and 3.25" is actually real good, gives a good base for the spring seat to sit on. I almost think 3" is a minimum OD, and you could really go as big as 4" if you wanted, but I doubt you'll find any that big without increasing the ID.

1.5" ID worked well, only minimal movement is possible. But I would suggest the ID be no bigger than 1.5".

I also firmly believe its best to get the washers welded together in a stack. They are big enough they really wont go anywhere but still, without welding the stack does shift and can look a little lopsided..... even though I dont think it is a reliability concern, more of an aesthetics concern, but if another mechanic unfamiliar with rangers sees that he might be like :icon_surprised: I didnt have access to a welder so mine aren't welded and my stack is a little lopsided. I'll take pics when I get back to the shop in the morning.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals