• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code for OBD-I

Aaron285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got different codes when truck is idling/running. Codes were 3 113771377

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
1 o2

Your sure the right pcm?

And spark plugs wires are correct.

How old are injectors, were they tested?

Aaron285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This the PCM? Not sure if its correct. The spark plug wires are brand new and yes they are in the correct place. whats weird is the motor runs smooth and perfect till over 3000rpm in 2nd gear and around 2000-2500 in 3rd gear. I can short shift and roll on the gas in 3rd at 20 mph and its super smooth and has power, but 2 seconds of that power and RPMs climb and then drops out.
Injectors are stock from 91', I tested all them with 9V battery, injection/hose of fuel to see them spray. All injectors sprayed smooth and good. Ive tested injectors the same way for other trucks and they were the same as these and no problems. I think I have an electrical/ computer issue.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
This the PCM? Not sure if its correct. The spark plug wires are brand new and yes they are in the correct place. whats weird is the motor runs smooth and perfect till over 3000rpm in 2nd gear and around 2000-2500 in 3rd gear. I can short shift and roll on the gas in 3rd at 20 mph and its super smooth and has power, but 2 seconds of that power and RPMs climb and then drops out.
Injectors are stock from 91', I tested all them with 9V battery, injection/hose of fuel to see them spray. All injectors sprayed smooth and good. Ive tested injectors the same way for other trucks and they were the same as these and no problems. I think I have an electrical/ computer issue.

thats the edis ignition module.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Got different codes when truck is idling/running. Codes were 3 113771377
I get out of that you have a

3=6 cyl computer

1= signal to goose the throttle

13=code 13

77=code 77

13 and 77, repeat of the previous codes.

Code 13 means the computer tried to lower the idle speed and could not do it. You should unplug the idle air control valve, the engine should idle way down and may even stall. If it keeps running at a decent idle speed, you need to find out why. You either have a vacuum leak letting air in, or someone has been messing with the idle stop screw.

Code 77 means you did not perform the goose test. When you are signaled, you are supposed to rev the engine up high. You didn't do it.

Aaron285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bobbywalter: Pics are of old PCM from auto, and the new PCM I ordered and are currently using.
franklin2: I will check and do everything you wrote about.
One thing that Im not sure will affect it, my friend got me the throttle body linkage from a salvage yard because I lost the linkage that came on the motor. Not sure if the linkage he found was different/shorter/longer. Its not adjustable, just plastic linkage that snaps to either metal ball/mount.

Attachments

Aaron285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Started the truck for codes and "goosed" got new codes: 2 214132141
Unplugged IAC valve and truck would not start. I didn't try to unplug the IAC valve while running. I will try that next.

Aaron285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Started truck, un plugged idle control and the RPM instantly dropped and sounded like it was going to stall but didn't. plugged it back in after 20 -30 sec. and RPM went back to a smooth idle.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Started truck, un plugged idle control and the RPM instantly dropped and sounded like it was going to stall but didn't. plugged it back in after 20 -30 sec. and RPM went back to a smooth idle.
That sounds correct. Not sure why the computer couldn't do that and instead gave you that code. If it comes up again, your idle air control valve may be sticky. I had some idle problems with my 2.9, but I kept putting off buying the idle air control valve, it was a little bit expensive and I was not sure it was bad. I finally had a little money and found it at a good price, and when I replaced it it did idle better. My local store at the time wanted $90 for it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Started the truck for codes and "goosed" got new codes: 2 214132141
Unplugged IAC valve and truck would not start. I didn't try to unplug the IAC valve while running. I will try that next.
You must have missed a pulse at the beginning. Your truck should always be a 3 at the beginning for a 6 cylinder. A 2 is for a 4 cylinder computer.

21=code 21, temperature sensor is out of range. You didn't let the engine warm up enough before pulling the codes. The engine has to be at least 50 F.

41=code 41, your oxygen sensor voltage is low. This was also caused by pulling the codes before the engine was fully warmed up.

Don't know what the 3 is?

Aaron285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Idle isn't my major problem, The major problem is the truck will not accelerate in 2nd gear past 3000-3500 RPM and once shifted into 3rd it totally boggs down and shakes, with little to no acceleration. If I'm in 3rd and slow way down and am under 2000 RPM then motor runs and sounds perfect. When the motor is running and is not bogged out it is super smooth and plenty of power.
Dont want to just spend money and throw parts, but maybe coil pack, MAF, throttle body crank shaft sensor? I really have no idea and don't know how to test these parts, the CODES are not really giving me anything for my accretion/RPM/ bogging issue.

Aaron285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It also idles and revs up perfect in the driveway. Issue is just while driving.

Aaron285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe fuel pressure/ regulator?

Aaron285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just tested my alternator and its bad. Could that cause the coil pack to not get enough power and drop spark to cylinders? just a wild guess. Ordered a new alternator and will be in next week. hope it fixes the problem, didn't work anyways , so needed one.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Low voltage can cause issues.

Are you sure the induction is correct?

I need to try to run the cc on the PCM you posted to see what it is supposed to be.

No telling what it actually is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals