• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Clutch replacement

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, '97 2.3. Not able to get the xmission in that last .5" roughly. Went back n took measurements, appears to be roughly 1.5" of input shaft spline exposed. Meanwhile, it's just over 2" from pressure plate fingers to backside (flywheel side) of clutch. Are you supposed to have to push the throwout bearing in a but during this process? Seems like it'd be tough to do without drawing the bell in by tightening bolts

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
looks like the plates ain't lined up. I wouldn't try forcing anything, it all should fit in there some way

Did you get a new pilot bearing?

Last edited:

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This was just testing off of the truck to get an idea of spacing. Yep new pilot bushing

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It has to fit. Until it does all I can suggest is try another angle. I hope you have a jack for that. I'm not sure what they cost now but they are very helpful. I just got a cheap harbor freight but it is a valuable tool

Dang, the first one I got was about $39.00, the one I have now was no more than 50 :/

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I see you have a puck style clutch, so I'm guessing a heavier flex plate, so it'll take more force to get them together but shouldn't be too extreme, sometimes that last 1/2" is kinda tough. On my new centerforce it seemed to go right together, wasn't eventful enough to remember...

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the responses, let me ask this, this replacement slave cylinder is fully extended. Are you supposed to compress it while installing new clutch?

Attachments

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I see you have a puck style clutch, so I'm guessing a heavier flex plate, so it'll take more force to get them together but shouldn't be too extreme, sometimes that last 1/2" is kinda tough. On my new centerforce it seemed to go right together, wasn't eventful enough to remember...
What's strange is compared to the factory clutch that was removed, the newer one seems a little more shallow (clutch & PP) Hard to tell how the factory one would've worked. I guess the throwout bearing is always touching the pressure plate fingers?

Attachments

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If I pull the throwout bearing back a bit like this, the splines engage with both the old factory clutch & the new Spec. That cylinder requires some force to compress, plus it's constantly pushing back, so I can see why I had a tough time getting that last 1/2" to close. Just seems exteme to have to do this, obviously. This whole deal seems odd, I must be doing something wrong

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why do you have those hangers on there? Did you get a Pre-Bled Slave cylinder?

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes prefilled master cylinder, is that what's keeping pressure on this? No videos that I've seen talk about this

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's the kind you want. No need for the oddball stuff there, just install it and leave it go till you get it all together, last thing use that plastic tool to push the master cylinder connector into the locking position. There may also be a locking clip to slip in behind it somewhere
When you get in to try it, first pedal you should feel the clutch

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Right I here you, but I can't seem to install the xmission all the way, that's what I'm posting about. It won't push in the last 1/2" because the throwout bearing is hitting pressure plate fingers before the bell is all the way in. It's like I'd need to collapse the slave cylinder in to make up the difference

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I pull the throwout bearing back a bit like this, the splines engage with both the old factory clutch & the new Spec. That cylinder requires some force to compress, plus it's constantly pushing back, so I can see why I had a tough time getting that last 1/2" to close. Just seems exteme to have to do this, obviously. This whole deal seems odd, I must be doing something wrong
that part should not be a problem, it should slip in there and basically be forgotten until you get it installed and start hooking it all together

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I do not believe it's the slave cylinder

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What's strange is compared to the factory clutch that was removed, the newer one seems a little more shallow (clutch & PP) Hard to tell how the factory one would've worked. I guess the throwout bearing is always touching the pressure plate fingers?
I think you are correct there
Edit, but how could it seem more shallow now if you say it's too long to fit now

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals