• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch pedal sticking, weird symptoms

Jamescapo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I have a 2004 Ranger 2.3 with what I believe a Mazda 5 speed. Issue is that the clutch acts fine for a bit, then will hang up when you go to release it. It will hang halfway up the travel and pulling it up all the way with your foot will not help. If you pull it up and wait a second, there is a pop from the clutch and it dumps back into the released position. If you try to push it down when it hangs, it feels like a brake pedal with a bad booster. It will not resolve until you let it sit for a second while the “pressure” bleeds off and releases the clutch. Other than this issue, it works perfectly. Smooth shifting into gear and smooth take off, until it sticks.

It seems to me that the clutch line is acting like a bad brake hose. Posing as a check valve and not letting pressure bleed back off the slave. It will bleed off slowly and then pop the clutch. Doesn’t seem to be a sticky slave to me. Pedal also does not feel loose or like it’s binding on the pedal assembly. It feels like a hydraulic stop. Spongy at the very top and will not move. Please let me know what you think.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You have a 50/50 chance it's a hose.

But what you describe sounds more like a slave to me.

Hose would slowly bleed to the top... slave would more likely pop and release.

How many miles... original clutch?

Jamescapo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You have a 50/50 chance it's a hose.

But what you describe sounds more like a slave to me.

Hose would slowly bleed to the top... slave would more likely pop and release.

How many miles... original clutch?
As far as I know it’s original. 123k miles. I would think that if the slave was stuck out, the pedal would go loose because the master releases pressure but the slave is still out. That means there is a cavity to fill and makes it fall free to the floor. A stuck line would keep pressure on the Master and not let it release. Once the pressure falls below the amount needed to hold the slave, the slave pops off the clutch. I could be wrong but that is my thought.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals