• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch install help

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have an 88 ranger with a 2.9 and 5spd. i removed the transmission, replaced the clutch and am trying to reinstall the tranny. my problem is i cant seem to get the tranny ligned up for the last inch. i'm gussing that this is the pilot bushing holding me back??? i got a log bolt started in 1 hole and thats where i am stuck!!
i am thinking of getting some longer bolts to use to line it up and get this done...... any other thoughts or ideas??????

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you use the alignment tool that came with the clutch? It sounds like it could mis-aligned keeping you from getting the shaft into the pilot bearing.

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
try turning thr motor over with some one rockin the tranny... usually works for me.. if that doesnt work tranny back down and recheck alignment.. turn it over with a socket

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tilt the tranny sideways slide it in and flip back over and boom should be good to go

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
more info

i used the pilot tool when i installed the clutch and it was fine. i then got the tranny up over the y pipe and got it to go into the clutch disk and all the way forward except for the last 1" 1 1/2" to where it almost hits the guide pins. is this the pilot bering or the splines holding me off??? thank for the tranny twist idea it helped but now i am stuck and not sure why???

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The trick is, Well, what I do, is have someone spinning the crank a lil bit to mesh the spline, you will know shes in by seeing the truck move when you spin the crank (I leave it in 1st, then you have to be real level because the tolerance is very tight. once you get it to the last inch the spring on the slave cylinder is going to fight you. Start the threads on the bellhousing to trans and suck it in going from either side back and forth, like tightening a u- bolt, until she is seated against the trans bellhousing. You can try all you want to seat it, but that spring will fight you. You have to suck it in.

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
DONE!!!!! Thank you everyone!!1 the bolt trick worked. i nhad the splines meshed but the new slave spring held me off.... i got 2 longer bolts to draw it in and it went fine.....
that tranny and case were heavy. i wont try it agian without some one to help.
but thanks agian!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals