• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check engine/theft light weird; intermittent no crank

2000Ranger3.slo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have searched for this problem all morning no luck.. 2000 3.0 4x4 5spd. My truck has been running fine no starting problems. I parked it yesterday for a while and went back to crank it: Turn the key on all dash lights come on and fuel pump comes on, however>> Fuel Pump will not shut off, Check Engine light goes kind of dim and flickers slightly and the Theft light is flashing faster than it normally does, the engine turns over but no start.

Normally, turn he key on fuel pump and all dash lights come. Fuel pump primes and shut off, check engine light is bright and will then go out and truck will crank fine.

It is so intermittent there is no rhyme or reason as to what the deal is. Please lend some knowledge. Thanks

2000Ranger3.slo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
*Bump*
Anyone?
I usually figure out my own problems but this one is driving me nuts. I just need some guidance. My truck was cranking for a couple of days but now its back being crazy. I'l turn the key to "on" all the dash lights come on but then the "check engine" light goes dim and the "theft" light is flashing rapidly. My fuel pump is on and will not shut off while the key is in the "on" position. I can also attempt to start the truck during all of this and it tries to start just wont fire up. Its the craziest shiz ever, HELP ME!

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First is to try a different key.

I would also clean up all the grounds, since a dim CEL is noever normal.

The PCM provides the ground for the CEL and G101 and G102 are all I see for the PCM. Since your fuel pump runs, I'll guess that G101 is good (provides ground for PCM power relay). It is located on the LH side of the upper radiator support. G102 is located on the engine firewall,almost dead center, between the PCM connector and a plastic plug (next to the wiper motor).

Clean those up.

If you want a large file of 2000 schematics, send me your e-mail address in a Private Message.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals