• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap easy mods?

Jay_Chain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 coming soon
Transmission
Manual
What are some cheap easy mods I can do to my truck? Either visual or performance. I'm saving up right now to do a 302 swap somewhere down the road, what are some cool things I can do to give me a few extra HP or make it look good until then?

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Turbo that 2.3L. Of course, after you turboed it you probably wouldn't want to put a 302 in there.

You had a couple other threads saying it was't running. Is it running now? If not, work on that first. Also, a good tuneup can unleash a few horsepower, if it isn't running very well right now. New spark plugs, distributor cap, plug wires, etc.

After it's running good, I'd ask myself what I want from it. Do I want to take it offroad? If yes, I'd probably put a small lift on it and bigger, more aggressive tires. If it's in the budget a locker for the rear differential would be nice and give you a lot more traction.

I don't have any real good visual mod advise for you since I don't know what it looks like and I assume it's fairly stock. I think the Rangers look good stock, nice and clean looking. If it had a bunch of add ons, such as running boards or bug deflectors (I personally think neither of these add to the aesthetic or functional value of a vehicle) I would probably take those off and best of all those mods would be free! Post a picture of your Ranger and people can help you with some ideas.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Do NOT get stick on hood scoops. Every time I see someone with stick on hood scoops I want to jump out of the truck and go punch them.

I like cab lights though. The right cab lights look nice on the Gen 1 trucks.

I think the kit cost me about $50, plus I didn't like the screws it came with so I spent about $2 on better ones.

the_gunslinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'd say, color match all of the trim pieces. Inside and out. As soon as I can figure out Fords paint code from this truck, ill be matching some of the interior to the red body color. Lighting is pretty easy if you're firmiliar with it. If you're into that sort of thing it can be a really eye catching mod that doesnt cost too much. Just get creative. Nothing stands out like a one of a kind mod!

Jay_Chain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 coming soon
Transmission
Manual
I know I'm going to repaint it. I want to go with a really dark blue, like the Air Force Academy's Thunderbird uniforms, with white accents and a white grill. I'm leaning towards getting a grill guard and bed bar, and throwing some KCs on that. It's already got a 2" body lift so bigger tires are a possibility.I'm going to beef up the suspension when I do the 302 swap so I'll probably lift it a bit more then. Forgot to mention its running great except for that the key doesn't turn it over. So I can spend my time and money on cosmetic things for now. I'd add pictures but I'm new and don't know how. Here's a link to the blue, http://www.theupsetblog.com/2010/10/air-force-special-unis-love-em-or-hate.html just that base blue of the uniform with some satin white accents, and chrome Ranger badges and mirrors.

Jay_Chain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 coming soon
Transmission
Manual
Also those cab lights look amazing! Great way to spend $50. I don't think I'll do them though because I want the KCs.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also those cab lights look amazing! Great way to spend $50. I don't think I'll do them though because I want the KCs.
Thanks man. I like them because they look factory, but nobody else has them.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Window stickers are proven to add at least 20hp. Especially ones like Eddelbrock, Jegs, Summit, etc..

I like the cab lights though. I think I might add some to mine. I have an extra set of smoked ones laying on the shelf for a 99+ super duty that I think would look awesome.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Do NOT get stick on hood scoops. Every time I see someone with stick on hood scoops I want to jump out of the truck and go punch them.

I like cab lights though. The right cab lights look nice on the Gen 1 trucks.

Ahhhhhh....cab lights!!! Ahhhhhhhh...every time I see a truck with cab lights I want to get out and of my truck and puch the driver out so bad.....Ahhhhhhhhhhh

LOL

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Is that a photo from my fields?

You can do a billet grill, running lights, steps, rear-end block lift, cut the fenders and add larger tires, you could probably find a push bar at a junkyard. Can try adapting different mirrors from another vehicle onto your doors, hood scoop, and one of my favorites is getting an old truck square tank and making it an auxiliary gas tank in the bed. Some more you can do is a shifter nob replacement, seat covers, dash/interior repaint, pedal covers, RPM gauge (if you don't have one), random extra gauges, etc.

For more HP or better gas mileage, change out your plugs, change all fluids, clean the jets on the carburetor if you have a 2.8, injectors if you have a 2.9, you could also dump the spare+ bracket and tailgate to lose some weight if you really wanted too.

Last edited:

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
if you have any type of fender flares & want a better seal install Bushwacker fender edge trim to the flares. It helps to protect the bodys paint from wear of the slight movement of the flares, it also seals out mud & dirt from coming through. It protects freshly painted vehicles or freshly painted flares.

kingston250

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Some really nice mods and i think you can do with your truck. can any one share a cheap model of trucks which i can buy?

testanimal

Reaction score
Stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany; live in Nürn
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it does not blow the engine, you did good.
You have many options. I like the turbo, yet which is more cost effective? The 302 or the turbo. I am stationed in Germany and shipping makes cheap parts sometimes too expensive:shok:. If you are going to increase the power, are you planning to go over 90 MPH? Last time I checked, no state will let you drive as fast as on the certain parts of the Autobahn. I cruise at about 105 MPH:icon_thumby: when I drive home on weekends. This is made possible by using my Diablo In-Tune tuner. I also installed a AFE stage 2 cold air intake. I am putting on a Black Cat exhaust this summer. The cold air intake makes the 2.3 really growl and makes heads turn. I am currently searching for a better plug. I have read that some actually increase the HP. I do not know yet.

As for looks, I installed different headlights, a T-Rex Grill, lifted 3", had to put in an ADD-A-Leaf(I transport firewood on weekends) and have put 31x10.5 15´s on 15x8 rims. My Ranger now moves like I need it too on the Autobahn, looks good:icon_hornsup:, and holds the weight I carry.

You are fortunate to be able to order in the states. Not all parts sellers ship to an APO.

Greeting from Germany:icon_cheers:

SGT VON DER GRUEN, BRUCE
HHB 5/7 ADA
Kaiserslautern, Germany

"NEVER QUIT!!!"

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
You have many options. I like the turbo, yet which is more cost effective? The 302 or the turbo. I am stationed in Germany and shipping makes cheap parts sometimes too expensive:shok:. If you are going to increase the power, are you planning to go over 90 MPH? Last time I checked, no state will let you drive as fast as on the certain parts of the Autobahn. I cruise at about 105 MPH:icon_thumby: when I drive home on weekends. This is made possible by using my Diablo In-Tune tuner. I also installed a AFE stage 2 cold air intake. I am putting on a Black Cat exhaust this summer. The cold air intake makes the 2.3 really growl and makes heads turn. I am currently searching for a better plug. I have read that some actually increase the HP. I do not know yet.

As for looks, I installed different headlights, a T-Rex Grill, lifted 3", had to put in an ADD-A-Leaf(I transport firewood on weekends) and have put 31x10.5 15´s on 15x8 rims. My Ranger now moves like I need it too on the Autobahn, looks good:icon_hornsup:, and holds the weight I carry.

You are fortunate to be able to order in the states. Not all parts sellers ship to an APO.

Greeting from Germany:icon_cheers:

SGT VON DER GRUEN, BRUCE
HHB 5/7 ADA
Kaiserslautern, Germany

"NEVER QUIT!!!"
The 302 will probably be more cost efficient and more power throughout the power band. Power from the get go no spooling needed. The intake and exhaust will really only help with a bigger motor. Or one that is heavily modified. The stock intake and exhaust on our vehicles is plenty. Changing to aftermarket just helps with looks and sound. Plugs will never make more horsepower, they might give you back what you should have but they will not and cannot make more power, same goes for aftermarket ignition systems.

Basically tune it up and get it running how it is meant to is the most you can do without heavy modifications, forced induction, or an engine swap.

Most bolt on well net you nothing, if they do it well be horsepower in the single digits...hardly worth the cash and effort.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals