• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changed radiator hoses - big problems!!

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L manual transmission single cab 180k miles

It was time to change my radiator hoses as preventative maintenance. I bought new upper and lower hoses. Had a person I know change them for me. The old coolant was saved and dumped in through the radiator cap and some was put into the overflow reservoir.

Drove it 3 miles from the shop to a gas station and my temperature gauge on the dash was DEAD. Also heard a rattling when I would give it some gas. Felt like it was going all the way through the tailpipe.

Stopped at the gas station and as I hit the brake and was about to turn the truck off, the gauge went to its normal spot just shy of center. The overflow tank is almost filled to the top. When idling, the temp goes back down to the C. When I put the truck in neutral, and hold the gas pedal down to rev the engine, then the temp goes up a little, but still not to where it should be.

I drove it back home then another 1 mile and the temperature gauge then was where it should be, however it jumped around a little from a little above the C to shy of the middle, where it should be.

The overflow tank was still very full, so it obviously didn't suck it back into the engine.

Never at any time did the temperature gauge go to hot, or above where it normally should be.

1. Did I likely do any damage?
2. How do I fix this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
There is air in the cooling system. Take it to somebody that knows what they are doing. Driving around like that is going to give you a blown head gasket

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Am I best off having it towed somewhere? Any chance I already did damage?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If you don't feel comfortable filling and bleeding the cooling system then yes you should tow it somewhere, but be prepared for the expense of the tow and the shop. You could have done damage depending on how low the coolant in the engine was and how hot it got.

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I mentioned in my OP that the coolant temp never went above what it's normally at. I'm a bit surprised that when I stopped at the gas station, the reading was like the gauge was inoperable, then it shot to where it should be.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I mentioned in my OP that the coolant temp never went above what it's normally at. I'm a bit surprised that when I stopped at the gas station, the reading was like the gauge was inoperable, then it shot to where it should be.
if there's air in the system, the gauge may be reading the air temp and not the water temp. that's why the temp gauge fluctuates, likely in correlation to increased/decreased flow at the water pump caused by a change in engine rpm. also, if there's air in the system, there may be places not getting coolant - getting hotter than they should be. i would start out by popping the radiator cap and making sure it's full. it may have burped some air out into the radiator.

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So I'll open the radiator cap when the engine is cool (I think it will spray everywhere if I've been driving and try to open that), then start it? Then what?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
the beat way ive found to burp a radiator is to jack the front end making it the highest point, then squeeze the hoses and hope that it begins to burp. then tp the radiator off drive and let it warm up and cool down and see if any more air has come to the top off the radiator, truthfully if enough coolant is in the overflow and radiator to begin with it will burp itself as it heats up the air gets pushed into the overflow and coolant gets sucked back in as it cools as long as your overflow hose is leak free :)

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
In the morning, if I park on a hill (higher side is the engine, lower side is the tailgate), take the radiator cap off, and the the truck run, will that do anything?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah it should help just make sure you have coolant to top the radiator off and the overflow. This will work since the fluid will expand pushing any air out so as soon as the fluid starts to flow out the radiator cap it and make sure the over flow has plenty of coolant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In the morning, if I park on a hill (higher side is the engine, lower side is the tailgate), take the radiator cap off, and the the truck run, will that do anything?
Don't forget to chock the rear wheels so it won't roll off backwards-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals