• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cartridge Fuel Filter Replacement...WTF?!?!?!?!?!???

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've got the "special" tool for cartridge oil filters, which is just a weird channel-lock plier...cracked the cartridge open, no problem.

Guess what? THERE WAS NOOOOOOOOOO FILTER IN THERE from Previous Owner. WOW!!!

Slid in the new one, and put the "O" ring where the lip was..."O" ring appears to be just a bit too small diameter to sit in the lip properly...pinched it while closing it back up, and it leaked...

Got it apart and broke one of those STUPID plastic clips to hold a fuel line on...

What an idiotic design!!!

Can someone calm me down and help me understand how to replace a fuel filter on this thing???

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Not having a filter was normal for some. I can't remember if it was the single or dual tank that had a "dummy"

There should be an in line filter further up toward the engine.

You will have to get a new o ring and keep trying. Make sure the o ring is wet with fuel as you twist it on to lubricate it.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The early fuel injected (86-87somewhere) had the cartridge and inline filters. The later firstgens (88) had your style of empty cartridge - it was called a fuel accumulator, and simply gave a little surge tank for the tank pump to pump into and for the high-pressure (inline) pump to suck fuel from. Of course parts got mixed around over the years, but since yours didnt leak before w/ no filter&o-ring in, I would say she was an accumulator.

Bill (goes by Numberdummy on here) had looked up a part number for this critter - search "fuel accumulator" in this section (I think)

If you're searching the junkyard, an 88 should have what you want. If you get another accumulator, DONT OPEN IT! I think they are sealed somehow, damned hard to open, then leaky when you put them back together.

Good Luck

Edit: can't find that thread, did run across this one:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114092&highlight=fuel+accumulator

and this one:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141972&highlight=fuel+accumulator

If its a shallow cup, with just room for the paper cartridge and an O-ring, its meant to have a filter. If its almost twice that deep, its and accumulator (no filter, do not crack open!)

Last edited:

Daniel T.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yes.some were empty (i know mine was) and even if you never open it they start leaking at some point, and trust me, not even jbwelding it fixes that.i got rid of that thing,just took some line fittings, couple fts of gas hose, and never had any troubles again.let me find you some pictures in case you get crazy on that freaking accumulator

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Now I feel like an idiot!!!

When I tried to open the cartridge, a few weeks ago, I broke the housing...

Went to JY and pulled another, but off a V6 truck...mine is a '85 2.3L

Looked the same, but now you're saying it's an accumulator?

FUCH!!!!

Are they the same part, the accumulator & filter housing?

All I have now is this stupid filter housing.

djt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My '88 ranger had the black fuel filter in a plastic canister that unscrewed then a second fuel pump then a second normal inline fuel filter. The new rubber o ring for the canister leaked and after I checked it the new one wasn't the same diameter or thickness as the original one. Used the original and problem was solved

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Found the right filter. I ring needed a bit of stretching and grease. No leaks no problems. Just a frustrating situation

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
A little dab of heavy oil will ease those O rings just enough to get them to set right. Works good on injector O rings to press them into the rail. Whatever happened to hoses and clamps to put a filter in line.? Or this open chamber to act as a damper of some sort. I have no clue whether the Rat's is filter or whatnot. I looked up the filter for a 94 .4.0 at Auto Zone and put it on. Veeery carefully and not liking what I saw as I replaced the filter A cheap ,cheesy push fit to make assembly streamlined and screw the next guy when the filter gets R+R'ed :D

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals