• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

carbed 302 with stock ranger fuel system

MaGiKaLsHoTs

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(01) / [94] / {
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
[3.0L] | (4.0L) | {5.0L, sas 35 boggers}
Transmission
Automatic
how would i go about this? theres 3 fuel lines on the rangers frame.. i know one is the sender, one is the return and i have no clue what the third is.. and i know i only need 1 with a carb

i have a pressure regulator and a electric fuel pump out of the donor BII.. i was just wonderin if there would be some way i would be able to use the stock pump and just block off the return line and have the sending line go into the pressure regulator?

thanks

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
One is the feed, one is the return, and the other is the vent that runs to the canister in the front of the truck.

If you want to keep the stock pumps, you will need to run a return style adjustable regulator that will feed the return back to the tank. If you have/want to keep the spring-loks, the fittings to make this work are kind of hard to find. It probably would have been cheaper to just install a different low pressure pump with the cost of the regulator and fittings. But on the other hand I just put it together and was done with the fuel plumbing pretty quickly.

Up to do what you want to do with the vent, but if you leave it open to the atmosphere, it will smell like gas under the hood, or where ever it's cut. Easy enough to retain though, all up to you.

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
Transmission
Manual
im runnin the same set up gonna throw a pressure regulator in line and got the fittings to run my send to my carb now do i have to run a return or is that optional i was more considerate of having a return and my pump constantly running and eventually burning it up. i was thinking would be cheaper to have one regulator and kepp a constant 40 psi before the regulator n basically one line straight to carb then splice the old return into the breather and tap them both into the carbon can...?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You need a return if using the stock pump/s, there's a lot of pressure that going to build up and have no where to go if you don't. EFI fuel pumps run all of the time. The constant circulation of fuel is what keeps them cool. You will burn up the pump if you do not have a return.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
3 lines-vent, feed, return.
-On my setup i capped off the stock feed line at the tank.
-Ran all new line from the stock return port on the tank. went from the return port to the electric pump i mounted on the frame rail. from the pump i'm going to run it to a regulator ill mount on the firewall, then to the carb.
-As far as the vent goes, i think im going to mount a charcoal canister on the frame rail and see how that works

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
like they said....the efi pump runs whenever the engine is running....what your thinking about is....when you turn the ignition on, you can hear the pump whine for a few seconds until enough fuel pressure is built up to prime the injectors for cranking...once the engine starts running, it drowns out the sound of the fuel pump which starts running full-time.

like they said...you gotta have a return fuel line to the tank or you will burn up the fuel pump from the 50-70 psi that the pump puts out all the time...the OEM regulator lowers the fuel pressure to 35 pounds for the fuel injectors to operate correctly....the fuel regulator sends the extra fuel pressure back to the fuel tank thru the return line...with a carb you only need 3 to 8 psi fuel pressure, or you'll turn the carb into a flame-thrower if you have too much pressure--especially if the needle-valve fails!!!!

annnd....vent line to charcoal canister to stop all the gas fumes.......

gas into OEM electric tank pump----into OEM pressure-supply hose---into OEM high pressure filter---into aftermarket pressure regulator designed to handle high pressure/and reduce high pressure down to 3-8 psi ---- into carb(with return fitting on regulator that gets connected to return line which drains extra fuel pressure back into the gas tank...

there....did i get the basic operation right?????

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You forgot the pictures of how you did the fitting on the regulator doorgunner.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This is how I did it: MrGasket 12G pump feeding from the return line in the tank (remove the rubber check valve from the end of the return line) Fuel line is 3/8 rubber gas line from the tank to the carb ( with 2 inline fuel filters, one before the pump, one before the carb) Vent is also 3/8 fuel hose routed to the base of the aircleaner. Any fumes built up while parked get sucked right down the carb when you crank it. It's been running like this for 9 years now. No regulator, no fuel smells , no problems.

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
You forgot the pictures of how you did the fitting on the regulator doorgunner.
baddad's way is a lot easier...besides---I made my on regulator..(you gotta remember....doorgunners HAVE to do things the hard way!!!!!!)

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
baddad's way is a lot easier...besides---I made my on regulator..(you gotta remember....doorgunners HAVE to do things the hard way!!!!!!)
McGuyver !!!! Is that really you ?:icon_thumby:

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
Transmission
Manual
baddad thats good idea piping vent to air cleaner i live in pa my county runs emissions but i register to a county that dont, do you have emissions cause i still need a visual that all the stuff is there changed my plans now you said that im runin fony lines off my carb can like there hooked up vent to the air cleaner so he dont smell nothing has your inspection guy ever said anything mine pretty easy going when you carry cash so ill hope for the best

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No emissions checks here

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
No emissions checks here
In louisiana....once baddad's vehicle hit it's 20th birthday--it became exempt from emissions checks....once baddad hits his 65th birthday, HE'll be exempt too...Waaaaaaaahahahahaahahaaaaaa...weeze....

(now where did i put that 6 foot piece of vacuum line????)

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
cant you just use the stock fuel pump plug the return and run the vent to the carbon cannister and pull a vacuum from it for fuel vapor and vent your carb to the cannister also. I really see no advantage in putting a electric pump with a regulator in it since the mechanical pumps worked fine for fifty years or better. Less to go wrong for sure

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
cant you just use the stock fuel pump plug the return and run the vent to the carbon cannister and pull a vacuum from it for fuel vapor and vent your carb to the cannister also. I really see no advantage in putting a electric pump with a regulator in it since the mechanical pumps worked fine for fifty years or better. Less to go wrong for sure
Why even use the cannister ? It really serves no purpose in my opinion. The mech pumps are no more reliable than an elcheapo Mr.Gasket 12g pump that needs no regulator.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals