• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't Get Distributor In

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for posting a new question almost every day, my pile of junk has a lot of problems. Anyway, I put on a new intake manifold gasket, put the actual manifold on, and then when I go to put the distributor in, it refuses to go in. I marked out exactly where it was when I pulled it out, and trying everything from pushing on it, turning the rotor, and even rotating the engine very slightly got nowhere after trying for an hour. It stops a little under 1/2 inch from the O ring. I looked down the hole and it seems like the spline it goes on isn't centered. Is this normal?

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The distributor isn't lining up on the oil pump drive. If you're sure it's going it correctly... turning the engine while putting so lite downward pressure on the distributor will allow the oil pump drive to align and it will drop into place.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Be aware the the drive gear is helical cut and the distributor shaft will rotate a bit when removing it. So you have to place the rotor a little before your mark... and as it goes into place the distributor shaft will rotate the same amount going in and the rotor will align with your mark.

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The distributor isn't lining up on the oil pump drive. If you're sure it's going it correctly... turning the engine while putting so lite downward pressure on the distributor will allow the oil pump drive to align and it will drop into place.
No matter what I do, it refuses to go in. I've tried it while turning the engine a lot, pushing lightly, pushing hard, wiggling everything, nothing works.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it came out... it WILL go back in.

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Be aware the the drive gear is helical cut and the distributor shaft will rotate a bit when removing it. So you have to place the rotor a little before your mark... and as it goes into place the distributor shaft will rotate the same amount going in and the rotor will align with your mark.
Are you sure that the oil pump drive thing isn't bent? It looks very off-center

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well of course I can't be positive...

You could check it if you wish. Just pull the oil pan and then oil pump to get at it. It may be helpful to pull the engine to make it easier.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Is this the first time you pulled a distributor?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Ok... take a breath.

So you've turned the engine and probably lost your original rotor location?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
First... you will need to bring the engine up on TDC number 1 on the compression stroke.

Do this by pulling number 1 spark plug. Dis able fuel pump by pulling the fuse or removing the fuel pump relay. Then have someone in the truck tap the ignition key the advance the engine forward. Do this with your thumb over number one spark plug hole. Once you feel cylinder comprrssion... stop tapping the ignition key. Look at the crank pulley and further rotate the crank until the timing marks line up. You are now at TDC number 1 compression stroke.

Then look at your service manual graphic that shows engine firing order. It will indicate where number one is one the distributor cap. This is now where you will align the rotor when installing the distributor.

It's really a simple task... take your time... I'm sure you can get it there.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You should be able to turn the engine by hand with a ratchet and socket on the crank pulley and feel/hear air being pushed out of cylinder #1 with your finger over the plug hole. Easier in my mind than turning the engine with the starter.

Be very cognizant of your crank pulley timing mark, distributor rotation when you stab it and where the rotor ends up vs the #1 position on the cap. It is possible to be one tooth off when you drop the distributor in and have the engine start and run but you will not be able to turn it far enough to set the timing correctly.

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
First... you will need to bring the engine up on TDC number 1 on the compression stroke.

Do this by pulling number 1 spark plug. Dis able fuel pump by pulling the fuse or removing the fuel pump relay. Then have someone in the truck tap the ignition key the advance the engine forward. Do this with your thumb over number one spark plug hole. Once you feel cylinder comprrssion... stop tapping the ignition key. Look at the crank pulley and further rotate the crank until the timing marks line up. You are now at TDC number 1 compression stroke.

Then look at your service manual graphic that shows engine firing order. It will indicate where number one is one the distributor cap. This is now where you will align the rotor when installing the distributor.

It's really a simple task... take your time... I'm sure you can get it there.
I did that for cylinder one and am pretty sure I stopped it at TDC. It still refuses to go in further than barely on the gear no matter what direction I put the rotor at while at TDC. Just to confirm, this is TDC, right?
20230214_210413.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It is TDC...

Now the issue is getting the oil pump drive shaft to line up with the distributor drive.

Look at the bottom of the distributor shaft... you'll see it looks almost splined. Those splines have to align with the oil pump driveshaft. I'm sure that's where you're help up...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals