• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camshaft Synchro trouble.

Nickmigues12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, I have a 99 Ranger with the 3.0 V6, that I am trying to install the camshaft synchronizer. This is a new engine, so previous position obviously didn’t help, so I set it at #1 TDC by both the spark plug trick as well as having both the valve covers and timing cover removed. I have it turned to about what appears to be 15 degrees, but it just won’t drop in the rest of the way. It has a new oil pump, but I had to reuse the old oil pump intermediate shaft as the new engine didn’t come with one. Do I need to shim my pump down? Is there another issue? I can’t find much info on my particular issue so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just turn the crank 90deg one way then the other way and back to your mark, synchro will drop down when oil pump shaft is aligned with synchro

Nickmigues12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I tried turning the crank both directions, and still no drop in. I went ahead and took the pan back off because it was only finger tight anyways, and I can see the oil pump spinning when I turn the engine over 90 degrees as well. So is my rod too long and not allowing it to go in? Or something else I’m missing? Is it possible I didn’t put the rod into the pump far enough?

Last edited:

Nickmigues12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I figured it out, my rod was indeed not far enough into my pump, I didn’t snap the snap ring part into the pump. Couple quick taps, reinstalled and everything is good! Thanks for the tip Ron and thanks for viewing everyone!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good stuff

Thanks for the follow up post

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals