• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

C6 or 4r70w

2kxlt3.slow

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
Im working on getting all the parts together to do a v8 swap in my 2000 ranger XLT, i picked up a 2000 mountaineer to cannibalize for parts but it was AWD and my build is staying 2wd, so my question is do i stay with the 4R70W the harness is wired for or switch to the C6 which i believe is all vacuum operated.

Either way this goes as of right now i need to buy a transmission and stall converter and a drive shaft and yoke and all that

with every thing ive seen the C6 is stronger and cheaper and easier to find.

So what does everyone think?

Last edited:

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My Lincoln has a 4r70w and I love the trans. Still kicking after 190k. Never had a problem with it.

Ive never had a c6.

If it was my build i would run the 4r70w just from the luck I have had with it

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 4R70W is a good trans. Rarely have problems with them, but when they do break you might as well replace it rather than rebuild it. Plus is has overdrive and lockup, which most people seem to prefer in a DD.

If you just want it for tire-shredding fun, I'd get the C6.

2kxlt3.slow

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
i do plan on driving it alot, and i intend on driving it pretty hard on and off road, my biggest thing is the cost of a 4r70w that can handle about 400hp or more. and i havent found any for less then like 2500 shipped and thats not counting the 400 dollar converter.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, but like I said, they rarely break. We have a basket case in the shop right now, but about 90% of the problems I have seen with them have been fixed with a valve body replacement. When something more than that goes you might as well replace the whole unit.

2kxlt3.slow

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
well my initial plan was to rebuild one but im thinking more and more that that may be a bad idea, so where is a good place to buy one?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Jasper makes a nice trans. Not sure what their warranty is though.

A Ford reman unit gets a 3-36 warranty, not sure how that would work with it in a Ranger though.

Getting a performance shop to look at it and maybe work it over might not hurt either.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
It really doesn't take all that much to make a 4R70 hold 400 hp without issue. To make the one you have 2wd it needs to be torn down reguarldess to put in the correct tailshaft. You want the newer style diode sprag if it doesn't have it already, it should already have the better drum, put good clutches and steels in (alto red if you feel necessary), a good shift kit, a deep aluminum pan, good torque converter and go overkill on the cooler. That will hold 400 hp and then some all day long. The best part is you will have OD with lockup so you can cruise, that is why the converter is expensive...$400 isn't all that expensive for a converter. Check here: http://www.becontrols.com/aode.htm or just google for what needs to be done, there is a lot of info on these. A c6 will be much cheaper to build for sure but the 4r70 can be done if you want the extra gear. You will have about the same in building one as buying one.

Last edited:

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 5.0 Exploder with the 4R70W. I thrashed the hell out of it for 160,000 miles. Tranny shifted like new when I sold it.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I run a C6.

I've also destroyed one. But I'm nowhere near 400hp. Also I run 12in slicks.

If you want a C6 talk to Jay at Broader performance. For under 1500 shipped he will have
you a unit that is rated at 700hp with a warranty. The best shifts in the business and built absolutely to your spec.

He also sells parts and other stuff that cost less.

I trust the C6. I know from experience that if you break the planetary in 1st and smoke the clutches in 2nd. It will not strand you. That trans will run until you absolutely shred every last living part inside of it. It runs off a single vacuum line, optional kickdown lever and the rest is manual.

Don't try to be lazy though and throw it in 2nd so you don't have to shift 1-2. 1 is one 2 is 2 and 3/D is 1 through 3 don't ask me how I know that...

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
They are both awesome transmissions.

My 4r70w has 214k hard miles on it, and still shifts like a dream.

My buddy has a C6 that turned 42" tires backwards @ 45mph, during a panic maneuver when he lost his brakes.

Personally, I like the 4r70w. There are parts out there to make it non-electronic.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will have about the same in building one as buying one.
This right here. This is why we replace them vs rebuilding them so often. Once you add up parts and labor for rebuild vs replace the numbers are usually within a few hundred dollars, but the reman units get a better warranty than the one we rebuild in the shop.

2kxlt3.slow

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
I do already have a 2wd 4r70w i picked up, has tons of miles on it, i got it cheep cause i had fully intended on rebuilding it myself but i still cant decide if that's something i want to get into, and thats what lead me to this, the prices of buying a full trans ready to go, theres quite a difference between those two price wise.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals