• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco tire carrier on a Ranger

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure somebody's done something like this, i'd like to put a spare tire carrier across my tailgate like a bronco, wrangler, blazer, etc would have, i just like how they look plus then i'm not out another taillight next time my buddy rear-ends me; anyways, i'd need it to be able to swing out so i can still drop the tailgate completely (i frequently have a fourwheeler to transport) and it has to be able to hold a standard 15" ford 5-bolt rim with a 31" off-road tire on it- can i just pull a carrier off a bronco or is there more work to this? I would definately appreciate any input somebody with more experience can give me and maybe even some pictures
thanks

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
This has been gone over a few times since I have been around. The biggest problem people run into is how to reinforce where the mounts for the tire carrier go. It CAN be done, but you might have to get creative on how you mount the thing. What I mean here is, the mount has nothing more than sheet metal, and to keep it from tearing/ripping the side of your bed out, it needs some good points to mount to (regardless of how tight you think you have it, vibrations are severe). Good idea, but in the long run I think most people just build what they want. Good Luck.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was thinking out loud about doing this and my insurance agent said my insurance would increase if I put the spare back there...I asked her why and she said that it would create another contact point that wasn't normally there...as in backing up and maybe hitting something with it...not sure if that is true, but it sure would be nice to have the tire up where I could access it without having to crawl under the truck...usually in muddy, wet conditions...

One time I blew a tire off the rim while dropping some metal off at the junkyard...I was right in the middle of a huge puddle of mud...had to drive on the rim about 200' to get to dry land to change it out...

Anyway, if you come up with something...I'd be interested...thought about a tire carrier that swings up from across the top of the bed? that would allow full tailgate access and bottom bed useage...it could even hand down inside the bed so it doesn't block off partial rear view...

Hey, that's a great idea...lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals