• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Breaking in front gears

94rangersplash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a d35 and 8.8 and i just did a 4.56 gear swap. The paper work with the gears says i need to go through a break in period with the gears. Ok but how am i susposed to do that on the front gears i cant lock it in and drive 15 to 20 miles then let it cool down and all that and do it again till i have about 100 miles on it. Point is what is the best way to break in the front gears after a regear.:icon_confused:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I've never had to deal with this, so some one else kick me if I'm wrong,

but if you don't want to use 4 wheel drive on the road while braking in the front gears, you may be able to pull your rear drive shaft, lock in the front, and rock it in FWD.

I've run around in FWD before and the steering is a tit bit odd, but very doable.

5.0B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Automatic
I've done it before after breaking a rear u joint - as long as you don't get crazy with the go pedal, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just fine.

94rangersplash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never thought about that might have to do it

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Lock your front hubs in, but leave your tcase in 2WD, the hubs being engaged will turn the gears and you can break them in that way, thats how I do all my gear swaps
SVT

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lock your front hubs in, but leave your tcase in 2WD, the hubs being engaged will turn the gears and you can break them in that way, thats how I do all my gear swaps
SVT
I've always been under the impression that doesn't do anything because it is riding on the coast side of the gear and not the drive side? Would it even heat up enough?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
it doesn't matter if its on the coast side or the drive side, its still making contact and has is causing resistance, in turn causing the gears to heat up. No, its not an equal substitute for actual driving the gears, but in 4wd you are not going to get the full load of the truck on the gears because of the rear axle, so it works just as well. Also keep in mind you are not putting constant high speed usage for long periods of time on the front gears, so they are not subject to high heat conditions like the rear gears are.
SVT

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ahh, I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down.:icon_thumby:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
it doesn't matter if its on the coast side or the drive side, its still making contact and has is causing resistance, in turn causing the gears to heat up. No, its not an equal substitute for actual driving the gears, but in 4wd you are not going to get the full load of the truck on the gears because of the rear axle, so it works just as well. Also keep in mind you are not putting constant high speed usage for long periods of time on the front gears, so they are not subject to high heat conditions like the rear gears are.
SVT
But it still doesn't polish and work-harden the gear teeth. You MUST have a load on the gears to do that, otherwise you're doing nothing at all but just breaking the bearings in.

Go find a graded dirt road somewhere that has some gentle grades, stick it in 4WD and drive about 10 miles or so in 4WD. That should be enough to break them in enough for normal use.
It is correct that the front axle doesn't see near as much stress and heating as the rear axle.

Last edited:

94rangersplash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks thats a little better idea than drivin with the rear shaft out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals