• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bigger radiator.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I have used both radiators. You do need to change the lower hose with the Explorer rad. Never had much issue with the fan and clutch, but I did have other issues that caused overheat issues. I took to running a 180* thermostat, and not a cheap one. Had an overheat anyway because I had a leak that I couldn’t find until I discovered the heater core was leaking but somebody sealed the heater core housing with RTV so it wasn’t leaking in the cab nor out the drain hole. I’ve also seen bad water pumps.

I would probably do the thermostat and water pump and see what happens. Plus check for leaks.

That said, PetroleumJunkie has found that some blocks are choked up with casting sand which can contribute to problems too. Apparently quality control wasn’t up to snuff here because Europe doesn’t see some of the overheat issues we do

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've used 4.0 radiators on 2.9s, small radiators on 4.0s, big radiators on 4.0s, I think I've had just about every combo under the sun at one point. A few notes:

- There are "big" 4.0 radiators and "little" ones. Big ones would be from a 4.0/automatic with AC, 4.0/manual with or without AC is about half as thick and holds less water.
- Big 4.0 radiators will cool a 2.9 pretty well but I had issues getting good heat in the winter and my gas mileage suffered. I believe it was because the thermostat doesn't open as often, thus the water in the radiator gets colder, and when it circulates back in, it's quite cold
- Little 4.0 radiator does not require hose changes, big 4.0 one does because the lower hose comes out at an angle instead of straight.
- There are different fan shrouds for different radiators that also make a difference here.
- Putting a larger radiator in will not necessarily fix overheating issues... I have a 4.0/auto radiator in every one of my 4.0 trucks, my Explorer still gets hot with the AC on, idling. It cured a lot of other issues I had with low speed offroad travel though. What the truck came with is generally good enough for most people.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals