• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best locker/limited slip for the money?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like I said guys - Daily Driver. All you spool and locker fans out there are putting up with hell 99% of the time so that the 1% of the time you need a locker - you have it.

Dumb IMO.
obviously you haven't been able to master a vehicle with a locker. it's good you recognize your own limitations. i'm sure everyone sharing the road with you appreciate your decision not to use a locker, ever.

Just_Randy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used to have a truck with duallies in back and a lockrite. I never knew it was back there until I hit the mud. It just drives the inside wheel while turning... Don't see what the big deal is. Also had a Detroit up front, but I only used the front axle when the back was stuck.

Btw, the lockrite from that axle is for sale if anyone is interested. Its for a 14-bolt and is mounted in 3.73 gearset. All great condition.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm in total agreement! Never knew there was a problem with having one, Mine is/was strickly a DD for the bad Wisconsin winter, 80 mile a day round trip. The "Np-Slip" is the more street friendly version of the Lock-Rite. Install was real easy.
Dave
Might not be a bad idea to go back and read the OP. The guy has a 2wd Mazda. He's not going to be "serious offroading" (whatever that means). I think a locker is a horrible, sucky solution for him.

wordsmyth

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First post. I've been reading and lurking a while and used search and am bumping an old one here. Hopefully my question will not take it astray.

The problem: I need better traction. I live and work in a hilly area and on dry pavement I do okay, but on wet pavement or when on dirt roads the right rear tire spins entirely too easily.

Looking at the door sticker I see an axle code of 95, and the dealer window sticker (I bought the truck new) says my '01 Ranger is a 3.55 regular axle.

If I interpret that data and my reading correctly, it means that I have a non-limited slip, 8.8 rear end.

So here is my question - how do I know for sure which Power Trax unit to purchase?

When I do a Google for Power Trax, I get a bunch of selections within the 8.8 category.

But I'm not sure how to discern how many splines, etc., before purchasing a kit.

All insight will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
MOST rangers are the 28 spline axles. other than some of the fx4's.

usually you can search by year/make/model on these websites so... that helps.

wordsmyth

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
MOST rangers are the 28 spline axles. other than some of the fx4's.

usually you can search by year/make/model on these websites so... that helps.
Thanks. I found it - 28 splines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals