• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best axle swap for 1989 Bronco II

Dylan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1989 Bronco II with stock axles. Right now it has 31s on it and I want to go up to 35s (may go bigger in the future). I know the stock axles wont handle the 35s cause I took it off road with 33s and my ring gear broke the first time. What axles would i need for 35s and what would be best? I know explorer axles will work but is there anything that would be better?

Thanks for helping.

englewoodcowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well for the easiest bolt and swap, I found a B4000 (same as a ranger 4.0) in our scrap yard and grabbed the running gear. The ranger gear is a HD Dana 35 up front (you can tell the Heavy Duty from the Standard Duty by the extra gussets cast into the housing) and the rear axle is a 8.8. I had to move the leaf perches to fit the B2 but that was it. If you get lucky you might find one with 4:11, mine had 3:73 and factory limited slip in the rear. Other than that they pretty much bolt right up and your track width will increase by about 2" as the bronco gear is narrower than the ranger gear.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
you'll want the explorer 95+ rear 8.8 for disc brakes and the stronger of the 8.8's. it's 31 spline axles.

i've never heard of the d35 HD... but hey, sure.

for the front an explorer d35 will work also. Just look around, you'll find a lot of build threads with these axles.

just get matching ratio's or regear.. personally for 35's I'd say go to 4.88's anyway. IMO there is not a stock ratio out there for 35" tires.

now if you want stronger, do d60's front/rear. Go to pirate4x4 and read about the axles they use over there. The same axles will fit under your rig with the right amount of fab work and stuff. Personally I'd do a 14 bolt rear and a d60 front if I was to go HUGE; but then you are talking major money. Also for the 14 bolt, you want 38's+ tires...

several guys on here are wheeling with 35's on the d35/8.8 combo.

englewoodcowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
As far as the Heavy Duty Dana 35 I found that info on another site. I have to agree that I have no idea if there is a difference but there definitly is a huge difference from the 28 to 35 but I know when I got my 35, it had the extra gussets they were talking about. I also forgot to mention you will need new drive shafts or at least have yours modified because the snout length is very different between the two.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
not if you do a 4" lift you won't... if you keep it stock height you do.
think that's right...

I switched 28 to 35 and still use the same driveshaft.

englewoodcowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. I am doing a frame off resto with a 4" lift and by the looks of it, thought I needed to get the front shortened. Now I will have to clean up the old shaft and give it a try. Since you are so helpful and I dont intend to hijack this, but with the 4" lift and going from 3:45 to 3:73, mostly daily driver what size tire will look good and perform well for an all around DD? Im looking at BFG KM2 (I just put a set on my 02 F250 and love them) in a 32 X 11.5. Im looking for a proportionate look as this will be brought to car shows etc.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
As far as the Heavy Duty Dana 35 I found that info on another site. I have to agree that I have no idea if there is a difference but there definitly is a huge difference from the 28 to 35 but I know when I got my 35, it had the extra gussets they were talking about. I also forgot to mention you will need new drive shafts or at least have yours modified because the snout length is very different between the two.
Ford rangers had 3 different front diffs in them. 1.) Dana 28. 2.) Dana 35 HYBRID (D35 with D28 internals) <-- This is the diff that has a smooth case. And 3.) The typical Dana 35 (with a ribbed 3rd member, for that extra pleasure)

Hope that clears anything up for you

englewoodcowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ford rangers had 3 different front diffs in them. 1.) Dana 28. 2.) Dana 35 HYBRID (D35 with D28 internals) <-- This is the diff that has a smooth case. And 3.) The typical Dana 35 (with a ribbed 3rd member, for that extra pleasure)

Hope that clears anything up for you
Sweet, I knew I could pay attention when it was stuff I was in to...LOL

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. I am doing a frame off resto with a 4" lift and by the looks of it, thought I needed to get the front shortened. Now I will have to clean up the old shaft and give it a try. Since you are so helpful and I dont intend to hijack this, but with the 4" lift and going from 3:45 to 3:73, mostly daily driver what size tire will look good and perform well for an all around DD? Im looking at BFG KM2 (I just put a set on my 02 F250 and love them) in a 32 X 11.5. Im looking for a proportionate look as this will be brought to car shows etc.
4 inch lift... a 32" should work
do the washer lift or a custom 1" body lift if needed. I'm running a 3.5-4" lift on my B2 with 285/75r16's.. so a 32.5"ish... only place my rubs in front of the tire, that I cut off.

however, I'm not saying I'd want a 3.73 ratio and a 32" mud tire.. I have 4.56's and the 4.0 and find it perfect.

just think about it, the d35 has a longer pinion towards the t/case... but you lowered the axle away from the t/case... so it stands to reason, the stock shaft should work. :icon_thumby:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Explorer axles are no doubt the most practical swap option on these trucks (D35 front and 31-spl 8.8" rear). With a few fairly cheap mods they can handle up to around 37s under a BII (if you so choose to go that big). 35s are right about ideal given the BII's wheelbase however.

Take a look through the "Sticky" posts at the top of the Ranger Axles section here. Lots of great info on this stuff.
Also check out the 4WD Suspension section for some additional info there as well.

I would suggest 5.13:1 gears for 35s if you're running the stock 2.9L V6.

Welcome to TRS. :beer:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think the Explorer axle has to be the hands-down winner here if we are just asking about "best".

It is the strongest thing that fits easily, and it doesn't really matter what you are putting in there, if it didn't come out of a BII the perches have to be moved anyway. When you are cutting and re-welding perches it doesn't matter if they are moving an inch or a foot, it's the same amount of work.

englewoodcowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wish I kew back then that the explorer stuff fit. They had one of those at the scrap yard too at the time I grabbed the ranger gear but any improvement over the stock B2 stuf is a definite improvement for the good.

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
4x4junkie is right on about the 5.13s and 2.9 if your gonna run 35s. It will even keep your speedo accurate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals