• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bed liner

LuvMyTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger XL (white truck)with a 7 ft. bed. I recently found a 7 ft.bed liner In a 1992 Ranger XL (red truck). Will it fit my 2002?

Attachments

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger XL (white truck)with a 7 ft. bed. I recently found a 7 ft.bed liner In a 1992 Ranger XL (red truck). Will it fit my 2002?
I don't think so, I believe 93-2011 interchange but not the earlier ones. My friend is closing up his used car dealership, last I knew he had 3 Ford bedliners for your truck,after I took one for mine.
Bed liner.JPG

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1983 to 1992 beds were 2" narrower than 1993-2011

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1983 to 1992 beds were 2" narrower than 1993-2011
Inside or outside? If inside, I learnt something new. I thought the inside was essentially unchanged from 82 until when ever they added the extra bed bolts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 87/88 whatever it was had a bed mat which fit perfectly, and when I got the 93 I moved it over. It was a good bit longer, rolled up a bit in front, fit the wheel wells, fit the sides, and rolled up a smidge on the tailgate, which is absolutely no problem, it doesn't hamper me open or closing the tailgate.
That rear gas filler thing doesn't exactly fit right either but it doesn't bother anything

Attachments

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 87/88 whatever it was had a bed mat which fit perfectly, and when I got the 93 I moved it over. It was a good bit longer, rolled up a bit in front, fit the wheel wells, fit the sides, and rolled up a smidge on the tailgate, which is absolutely no problem, it doesn't hamper me open or closing the tailgate.
That rear gas filler thing doesn't exactly fit right either but it doesn't bother anything
That sounds like long bed vs short bed.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
True, but I think the 93 bed is as long as it gets with the supercab. The 87 was a short cab, long bed. It fit the 93 well enough I just decided to keep it.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was a big reader of the papers then, Nashville had 2, Tennessean morning and Banner afternoon. When I had time off I'd read them both, at least the high spots.
In 96 I began looking for another truck, and knowing in those years Ford was actually selling them at not much more than cost, due to the extreme competition of Nissan, Toyota, Gobbledegook and others I looked only at the truck columns of Ford F150s and Ranger
At 6am I was about 15 minutes to downtown, at 9am I was about 3 hours.
About 4am I took off to the paper and pulled into the main office parking lot as they brought out the first stack of papers. Went to a coffee shop and checked the ads, at 9a I was looking at my new truck. I had looked at 2 previous and the tailpipe swipe killed them both, but this one was clean
It had 234K when I got it, has almost 400K now, been a real good truck

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've heard repeatedly the inner bed stamping is the same for the whole run from '83-11 at least on the standard 6' beds and 7' beds

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
True, but I think the 93 bed is as long as it gets with the supercab. The 87 was a short cab, long bed. It fit the 93 well enough I just decided to keep it.
There were only two bed lengths available prior to the reintroduction. 6 foot short bed and 7 foot long bed. All extended cabs came with the short bed. Regular cabs could come with the short or long bed, but you said yours was long. As I said sounds like short bed vs long bed.

I can't say exactly where the 12" was added, but IIRC the wheel base on the regular cabs was 6" longer, so likely evenly split to the front and rear of the bed. So if your liner were centered on the wheel wells it would be approximately 6" too long to the front and rear of the bed.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldn't use one of those if it was free, they trap moisture and rust the bed out underneath, had 3 trucks that did that, spray in bedliner is the way to go.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There were only two bed lengths available prior to the reintroduction. 6 foot short bed and 7 foot long bed. All extended cabs came with the short bed. Regular cabs could come with the short or long bed, but you said yours was long. As I said sounds like short bed vs long bed.

I can't say exactly where the 12" was added, but IIRC the wheel base on the regular cabs was 6" longer, so likely evenly split to the front and rear of the bed. So if your liner were centered on the wheel wells it would be approximately 6" too long to the front and rear of the bed.
My 88 was a long bed, my 93 is whatever came with a supercab.
You're right on the front, it rolls up about 6 inches. I like that because it gives the bed a pad in case I haul something heavy it wants to slide, which it wouldn't do on a rubber mat anyway.

The tail end only rolls up a couple inches, giving it a bit of wind resistance curl in case I want to hyper-mile a ways ;)

Each time I've cleaned it out the bed has shown no excessive rust spots, seems this pad has little rounded dots speckled across the bottom that gives it a better lift than if it were plum flat, so any water easily drains

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I wouldn't use one of those if it was free, they trap moisture and rust the bed out underneath, had 3 trucks that did that, spray in bedliner is the way to go.
My '97 has a drop in liner for many more years than the 4 I've had it and the bed is perfect underneath other than some slight scuffing, but I'm not in the rust belt... I've had a bed mat in the '90 for over 20 years and it's just fine too... I've heard that repeated all the time about them rusting the bed out, I think the moral of the story is just not to live in the rust belt...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals