• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bed liner question

zigzag801

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
My ranger has a plastic bed liner and I heard that plastic ones are bad because they can generate rust under it. My liner is not sealed at all and seems kind of loose. Should I just take it off and get a spray on in the next few months to come or leave it on there? Thanks for the help

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My ranger has a plastic bed liner and I heard that plastic ones are bad because they can generate rust under it. My liner is not sealed at all and seems kind of loose. Should I just take it off and get a spray on in the next few months to come or leave it on there? Thanks for the help
Leave it on until you can get a spray on. Thats what Im doing because I don't want areas that the liner peeled paint from to be completely exposed to the elements

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i take mine out sometimes to clean/wash the bed, painted the little exposed areas in the wheel wells, and im fine, also added some bolts to secure and 4 cargo tie down hooks, one in each corner,
so its very secured from flying/getting stolen. if u move heavy stuff that can damage the bed my advice is to leave it, mine really helps protecting the bed, if u dont, the spray liner may be good for u.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
i take mine out sometimes to clean/wash the bed, painted the little exposed areas in the wheel wells, and im fine, also added some bolts to secure and 4 cargo tie down hooks, one in each corner,
so its very secured from flying/getting stolen. if u move heavy stuff that can damage the bed my advice is to leave it, mine really helps protecting the bed, if u dont, the spray liner may be good for u.
I wish I had cargo tiedowns, thats what sucks about the stepside...... I got 4 almost useless hooks down inside my bed...........Drive on up to arizona and we'll swap beds:icon_idea:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
a flare side....hmmm.... i almost get a 00 flareside sport it was reg cab and white, that one really was your truck's twin! but i saw it like 3 days after i got mine so..it had the 7 spoke chrome rims, but it was a base model, so no fancy door panels...shame
it would be cool to swap my bed, but i do need a styleside for work.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
a flare side....hmmm.... i almost get a 00 flareside sport it was reg cab and white, that one really was your truck's twin! but i saw it like 3 days after i got mine so..it had the 7 spoke chrome rims, but it was a base model, so no fancy door panels...shame
it would be cool to swap my bed, but i do need a styleside for work.
O..............k:bawling:

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i agree with mattpresley, leave it in until you get the bed sprayed. sprayed in bed liner is still the best imho.
but, there is nothing to say you can't get it sprayed, then put the plastic one back in for extra protection. especially if the bed is subject to lots of heavy use. just something to think about.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
proper prep if you are spraying or rolling in a bed liner yourself?

sand all the paint off down to bare metal? or can you leave chipped/scratched paint?

and i know some bedliner kits come with adhesion promoters..

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'd get the Herculiner kit. most just need all the shine taken off the paint. also all the rust, grease, and oil removed. you can probably use the liquid paint and rust removers if you have a lot of junk on the bed surface. otherwise, just scuff it all up really good and that should do it. instructions are really good with most kits. we have Menards and Home Depot here and the kits usually go for about $80 for a gallon with all you need included. sometimes it goes on sale for about $60. good luck. :icon_thumby:

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I used to take the liner out every July, paint in some of the HD Undercoating let it all dry out if wet first... put it all together. never had a lot of trouble with surface rusting.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if you are doing it yourself do not get lazy on the prep work. the previous owner of my bronco herculined the inside and undercarriage and im guessing it didnt do a good job on the prep cause it is chipping off like crazy. there was a good write up in the trs magazine awhile back about doing one yourself
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/durabak.htm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals