• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Badland winches?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thoughts, opinions and expieriances welcomed.

I acquired a 12,000 lbs Badland winch from HF this weekend in trade for work. The winches were on sale for 300 bucks this last weekend.

Is this too much winch for my B2, or is it just enough because its from HF?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Too much is never a bad thing. Keep it.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Harbor Freight winches actually do a damn good job, but they they draw about twice the current as a Warn or other name brand under the same load.

If you run large cables and have a strong batt/alt they are awesome.

Unless I find a killer deal on something else I plan on buying a 12k HF job.

-PlumCrazy

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Yea I'm gonna plunk down some cash for one...once I get a decent set of bumpers. :banghead:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
honestly there ain't a lot of difference in all of the Chinese made winches; smitty, RC, badlands, milemarker, etc... if it ain't warn or superwinch, it's usually a Chinese deal lol.

Don't get me wrong, I know people with all of them that have had good luck. I would rock it. Use it till it gives you issues, IF it ever does.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Winch size is determined by the weight of your vehicle. Double it and add 1000. That should give you a baseline minimum size. More is better. A B II weighs around 3400 lbs so an 8000 lb winch should be the minimum.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
For any of you who want the HF coupon, here you go. It expires on 10/31/12.

Attachments

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I been wondering about HF winches. i would hate to have them fail when i need it the most.
I have read there pretty slow compared to the more expensive winches.

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a Warn 10 years ago, it was already 10 years old. So I got a 20 year old winch I would trust right now to work and find parts for it. I hate any thing made in china and imported here.
I paid 150 bucks for mine. I am not knocking what you have, but If it was made here in the states I would feel a lot better about it, not because it would have been better, its just that a job was not sent over seas to build it.
Its WARN Super winch or Ramsey (USA built). Company can be WON DONG winch, if it is made here I would have no qualm with it. Like Toyota and Nissan Mercedes or any other foreign interest company that are made here. USA Jobs matter more to me than the name of company.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a Warn 10 years ago, it was already 10 years old. So I got a 20 year old winch I would trust right now to work and find parts for it. I hate any thing made in china and imported here.
I paid 150 bucks for mine. I am not knocking what you have, but If it was made here in the states I would feel a lot better about it, not because it would have been better, its just that a job was not sent over seas to build it.
Its WARN Super winch or Ramsey (USA built). Company can be WON DONG winch, if it is made here I would have no qualm with it. Like Toyota and Nissan Mercedes or any other foreign interest company that are made here. USA Jobs matter more to me than the name of company.
If I'd of bought a winch, I would have bought the VR8000 Warn from 4 wheel auto parts for 479. But, this winch is being taken in exchange for some work on this guys trucks. I'm all about American made stuff, its just too bad that he got a good deal on the HF winch.

That being said, I will still use this winch on my B2, because of the way I got it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
If I'd of bought a winch, I would have bought the VR8000 Warn from 4 wheel auto parts for 479. But, this winch is being taken in exchange for some work on this guys trucks. I'm all about American made stuff, its just too bad that he got a good deal on the HF winch.

That being said, I will still use this winch on my B2, because of the way I got it.
Like I'm using a Smitty XRC8...b/c I won it! :D

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just to add, I had a M12000 on a full size blazer. I could feel it up front it was so heavy. 135 or so pounds. I took the cable off and it made a difference. Keep it in the back.

So with the badland being 95lbs and tiny B2 you will feel it IF you mount up front. I got so sick of the weight up front and taking the cable off I built a mount behind the back seat. had to open rear hatch to use but it was out of sight and out of the weather, and it did not mess with the front of my truck. I figured if I could not make it thru something I dang sure could get back out....

My comment against the winch was not directed at you, but in general those that BUY them. I know I am guilty of it too, buying non-American items. But dang it I am changing that. I grow my own food or as much as I can. I buy local for other items, I avoid walmart like the plague. If china and other countries had a even import and export with USA I would not care. but its like 85% import and almost no export to them. Other than our money. I will end my rant. And say no more in your post about that.

Tip figure out a way to by pass that solenoid pack on it. You may need it one day and that is a sore spot with all winches.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking the best overall plan for winches (except a dedicated trail rig)
is the winch basket for a 2" receiver with some sort of quick disconnect plug-in..

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no such thing as too much winch! not a bad price, but im not a fan of anything from HF that has moving parts. i recently put a superwinch 8500 on my bII. the bumper and winch were about 150 pounds. if your are stock height, explorer 4 door coils are a little stiffer, perfect for a bII or ranger with a winch

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals