• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Torque Converter?

Sully186

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So, first of all, if this has come up before, sorry...I haven't been through the several pages...

I have a 96 Ranger Supercab 4x4 4.0L w/ automatic trans.

Here's my problem: I was driving up I-95 and the drivetrain made a "thunk" noise and the engine started reving much higher for the speed I was going, then it felt as if the transmission would catch and put power to the wheels. I pulled off on the shoulder, but couldn't get rolling again. No strange noises noted at idle. Engine revs like normal in neutral, and just revs when in any gear so no power is getting to the wheels.

I am thinking bad torque converter, but the last time I have done anything related to the drivetrain was over 12 years ago. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

If there is another thread in here about this that anyone knows of, a link would be awesome!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
First check the trans fluid with the engine off and note the level on the dipstick. Then start the engine and check it again. If it doesn't go down pull one of the transmission cooler lines off and start the engine. If fluid doesn't come shooting out of the line (or the cooler) one of two things has happened.

1) The converter hub stripped itself and isn't turning the pump

2) The pump died.

Check that and let us know what happens. Then we will be able to give you more things to check, but I would be preparing to take the trans out.

Sully186

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the starting point....unfortunately, it is very hard to check the trans fluid level when there is no fluid (just thought I'd throw that out there). So, after reading your reply I went out there this morning to check the fluid level. Much to my dismay, there was no fluid on the dipstick except for whatever residual was there. After that, I climbed underneath to find fluid on the drive shafts, and dripping off the trans pan. I am completely ready to pull the transmission, but I really hope I can put the original one back in...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals