• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Baby Bronco?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
In my area of the country, the Wrangler owners really use their Jeeps. I'd say about 1 or 2% own spit-shined mall crawlers. The rest get used as they're intended. Quite a few of them get beat on heavily. We just had a Jeep-In last weekend that had over 600 Jeeps turn up for a benefit. Most all of them were from 3 small counties in my area. They were all following a map that took them through several local farms that had created mud pits and offroad obstacles, all on private property. Some of those farm owners like to get a little cruel and see how many Jeeps they can break in their pit, and they have dozers to pull them out. When I went to have a look at the Jeeps at the local American Legion parking lot, 99% of them were completely covered in mud. They'd been used hard on that day...

You can't tell me that Ford couldn't create the same cult following if they built a vehicle that could actually keep up with Jeeps offroad and give you the same feeling a Jeep does in summer with the top removed. The ladies eat that shit up, and guys buy them because of it, plus guys like the durability of the Jeep platform = even more sales

I know it'll never happen but I think Ford is missing out on a TON of sales by not building a more fun weekend toy that also serves as a DD. Instead, they keep pumping out the same old watered down grocery getters again and again...

In my fantasy land, Ford would build the GPW again. lol Hell, there's enough people wanting these old Willy's style Jeeps that an overseas factory and several US based businesses can stay busy year round.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In my area of the country, the Wrangler owners really use their Jeeps. I'd say about 1 or 2% own spit-shined mall crawlers. The rest get used as they're intended. Quite a few of them get beat on heavily. We just had a Jeep-In last weekend that had over 600 Jeeps turn up for a benefit. Most all of them were from 3 small counties in my area. They were all following a map that took them through several local farms that had created mud pits and offroad obstacles, all on private property. Some of those farm owners like to get a little cruel and see how many Jeeps they can break in their pit, and they have dozers to pull them out. When I went to have a look at the Jeeps at the local American Legion parking lot, 99% of them were completely covered in mud. They'd been used hard on that day...

You can't tell me that Ford couldn't create the same cult following if they built a vehicle that could actually keep up with Jeeps offroad and give you the same feeling a Jeep does in summer with the top removed. The ladies eat that shit up, and guys buy them because of it, plus guys like the durability of the Jeep platform = even more sales

I know it'll never happen but I think Ford is missing out on a TON of sales by not building a more fun weekend toy that also serves as a DD. Instead, they keep pumping out the same old watered down grocery getters again and again...

In my fantasy land, Ford would build the GPW again. lol Hell, there's enough people wanting these old Willy's style Jeeps that an overseas factory and several US based businesses can stay busy year round.

It is funny, you are only the next state over but here unless it has the misfortune on landing in a high schooler's hands they are lady machines because they are cute and come in fun colors so status symbols because they can look tough.

Very rare to see a dirty one that doesn't live on a gravel road or isn't a rural mail carrier.

Ford couldn't get the following going (or rather they stomped on it) the first time around. Now with fewer people wanting them it is going to be even harder to light the fire.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Truth of the matter is people want a truck to drive and ride like a car, so the likelihood of ever seeing a offroad capable Ford again is pretty slim. Like many others said though it would be great if they'd build an "SUV" that could hold up like the Wrangler, every other automaker to include Jeep have tossed the solid axles out the window because people want their huge grocery getter mall crawler to drive/ride like a car, and how dare you mention they'd have to shift gears and roll the windows up and down manually that would require someone who isn't lazy to drive. Today's vehicles you don't drive you merely steer them in the direction you want to go.

Reading into that article further there's even mention of the new "Baby Bronco" only having a 3 cylinder engine....I assume this is yet another great attempt to completely bankrupt Ford as they seem to have been trying to put themselves out of business the last decade or so anyways, so hey why not just go all out and purposely destroy yet another iconic name, they already did it with the new Ranger...the new "Baby Bronco" will be a Ford Focus with AWD.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Truth of the matter is people want a truck to drive and ride like a car, so the likelihood of ever seeing a offroad capable Ford again is pretty slim. Like many others said though it would be great if they'd build an "SUV" that could hold up like the Wrangler, every other automaker to include Jeep have tossed the solid axles out the window because people want their huge grocery getter mall crawler to drive/ride like a car, and how dare you mention they'd have to shift gears and roll the windows up and down manually that would require someone who isn't lazy to drive. Today's vehicles you don't drive you merely steer them in the direction you want to go.
I would love one, I will buck the trend on here and say an offroad oriented 4dr would be freaking awesome.

A SUV with ground clearance would be a great rural family car. If my wife liked the looks of a 4Runner I would get her one of those if I could.

Her crossever kept getting hung up in snow this year and as the frost was going out it would drag it's belly thru the mud. Like I told her "you are not in the suburbs anymore..."

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I would love one, I will buck the trend on here and say an offroad oriented 4dr would be freaking awesome.

A SUV with ground clearance would be a great rural family car. If my wife liked the looks of a 4Runner I would get her one of those if I could.

Her crossever kept getting hung up in snow this year and as the frost was going out it would drag it's belly thru the mud. Like I told her "you are not in the suburbs anymore..."
2 winters ago we had a somewhat real winter here in southwest Idaho for once. Had 2 feet of snow in my driveway, my truck made it around just fine, my Bronco 2 made it just fine with the exception of when the front hub decided it no longer wanted to work...but today's cars and pretend SUV's would never have made it, most people in town found this out the hard way when they couldn't get their new fangled cross-over out of their driveway most of the winter...funny how many old trucks and SUV's from the early 90's and older came out of the woodworks during that winter LOL. If you wanted to buy a 4WD good luck there weren't any around for sale LOL.

My 88 F250, 88 Bronco 2, and both my Toyota Tundras made it in and out just fine...unfortunately at the time I didn't have my 98 Jeep ZJ but I'm sure it would have done just fine as well. Ground clearance is your friend in many situations and today's vehicles with their ridiculously oversized wheels & tires on them stock don't have any better ground clearance and most times far less than older vehicles...combined with a garbage AWD sissy system they can't get out of their own way in the real world winters.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ground clearance is your friend in many situations and today's vehicles with their ridiculously oversized wheels & tires on them stock don't have any better ground clearance and most times far less than older vehicles...combined with a garbage AWD sissy system they can't get out of their own way in the real world winters.
If it isn't high centered her AWD is a beast in the snow. The state comes by and put a 1.5-2' berm where our road meets the highway... and that shuts down the Edge. It kinda melts and refreezes after it is pushed, it isn't normal happy fluffy snow after that.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
If it isn't high centered her AWD is a beast in the snow. The state comes by and put a 1.5-2' berm where our road meets the highway... and that shuts down the Edge. It kinda melts and refreezes after it is pushed, it isn't normal happy fluffy snow after that.
This is what I run into with deep snow too, when the plow comes by you end up with an additional 1-2 feet of snow tossed into the end of the driveway, wish they'd figure out the plow blades actually angle the other direction and could easily throw the snow to the other side of the road where there aren't any houses...but then again that would make sense.

I bought a 3 stage snow blower last winter....we maybe got a total of 10 inches of snow all winter LOL....well gee of course now that I've got a snow blower it'll never snow again. Same thing pretty much since I got my first 4WD we hadn't really had any significant snow until the 2016-2017 winter. This is why I'd like to go a bit larger on tires for my Bronco 2 so I can get some good all terrain tires rather than just the all seasons that it has on it now, granted they did make it through the deep snow, but better tread for snow would be great.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I didn't mention Mustang II for 2 reasons: it was the only Mustang sold from 74-78, there wasn't a Mustang I at the same time and I've owned one for 29 years. The "best of show" trophy is on the shelf and I have timeslips from New England dragway with 13.8@102mph. It was also driven 90 miles to and from the track.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For all the desires for a solid axle, and all the other stuff y'all are looking for, I'm not sure that *I* need it. If Junior will get through the 12 inch deep snow on my driveway, and down the street, that's all I really need. I'll add some studded winter tires, while I'm at it. Oh, it's also gotta be comfortable, and have good road manners.

Yup, I guess I want IFS. AWD instead of 4WD might be sufficient. I *do* want power locks and windows, cruise control, A/C, and I want to control my phone through the in-dash system.

I also want enough power to be able to get out of the way. I'd love a manual transmission again, too, if I can get one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals